Looking for help with user accounts

Find announcements, news, and the rules here.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Looking for help with user accounts

Post by irowiki »

Hello, I am looking for someone willing to get board emails about users not being able to access their account, and then you would have access to fix said account (if you don't already).

You would also be able to help moderate the forums when needed.

Thank you!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Looking for help with user accounts

Post by irowiki »

Hello, still looking for someone to take over this role.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87 4wd wagon

Post by SinusoidalTendencies »

oh dear... left unanswered from October. don't know if i'd be able to dedicate the time. but if no one else is doing it i'm willing to fill in,
I don't always learn my lesson.
But when i do, it's the hard way.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

What sort of time commitment are you looking for?
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

It's all volunteer based. So whatever spare time you have to give!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87 4wd wagon

Post by SinusoidalTendencies »

i'm willing. and should be able to check in almost every month
I don't always learn my lesson.
But when i do, it's the hard way.
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5

Post by AugustusFerdinand »

Are the emails realtime? I work from home and have done site moderation prior, checking an email for user issues here shouldn't be a problem.
1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 - 7AGE swap in progress
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Good afternoon Augustus,

irowiki still handles all the hardware/software work and I try to respond to the new registrations. We (myself and a couple of others) are evaluating each registration and I send a confirmation email if the registration isn't clearly spam. If a registrant responds and is obviously legit, the account is activated. Most spam accounts never respond, on a couple of occasions, I believe spam programs have been sophisticated enough to answer my email (for confirmation), but you can tell they are a little off. I have then followed up with another email and I don't think either responded a second time.

I have helped organize the site some since being involved in administration and more is in the works, I just need to find the time. I don't quite understand your email question. I've only used the email addresses to confirm registration and on a few rare occasions I have emailed members that haven't visited the site in a while to let them know there was interest in one of their posts or advertisements (if selling something).

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

Hello again Chris,

My email question was referring to how the new registrations arrive to you. As in do I check my admin inbox here on the site periodically or is there an email address I'd be given that receives the new registration requests. If it's the latter then I should be able to handle that easily as I'll get a notification to check as soon as a request is made. If the former I'll just have to add visiting the site to a more regular rotation.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Augustus,

Notifications show up on the site. Paul may be able to modify that and direct to an email adress, but I prefer to not have all the "spam" registrations hitting my inbox. I don't keep a good record, but we likely register 25% of the requests, with the remainder being garbage.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I'm registering people that fill in the "about my Tercel" question and seem to have an email address that makes sense with their user name. If in doubt I let them register. Its easier for me just to log into the site and go through five or six a day rather than directing to my email as I use that more for work.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

No need to change a process for me, just wondering which way it's currently being done. I'm willing to give it a shot and if I think I can't keep up or am doing a poor job, I'll bow out.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Thanks Augustus, every bit will help. its a pretty quick process currently basically anyone with a .biz or vapour-inhail in there email address can be presumed spam.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down there. Who are we to judge? I'm sure these vape-gurus have a lot to bring to the conversation here.

Let me know once you've got me set up to review new registrations and I'll get to work.