removing/loosening AC belt Tension Pulley issue :Answered

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87 4wd wagon

removing/loosening AC belt Tension Pulley issue :Answered

Post by SinusoidalTendencies »

once again i am giving up on searching this forum trying to figure out something super simple.

why is it so hard to find what you're looking for with this forums search engine?
i look up belt replacement and find everything but the proper way to replace your belts. seat belts, timing belts, replacement just happens to be in the paragraph somewhere. very frustrating.

anyways....

i started loosening the 14mil bolt on the only tension pulley outside the timing belt cover, for the ac serpentine line, and the bolt is just coming out without releasing tension on the pulley.

would love to know the secret of releasing this tension pulley.

any other advice as far as order of operations in removing the serpentine belts would be greatly appreciated.
i know it's one of the simpler things to do in a car, but this darn car has me stumped more often than not trying to research it.
Last edited by SinusoidalTendencies on Wed May 08, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't always learn my lesson.
But when i do, it's the hard way.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: removing belts issues

Post by BaileySims »

I think the nut on the front of the pulley has to be loosened before you relieve the tension. Don't quote me on that.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

there in a spring tensioner on it
loosen bolt
push it over
tighten bolt
that will alow you to take belt off
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member

it was the nut on the pulley. just trying to check my timing belts condition, so i'm a little surprised at what i'm having to go through compared to way more complicated cars.

looking like i really will have to remove the radiator too.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Oops, i thought you were talking about timing belt tensioner
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member

i got one for you though xirdneh
go over to repair questions
xirdneh wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:31 pm Oops, i thought you were talking about timing belt tensioner
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

S/T,

If I’m seeing it correctly, the vertical bolt screws through the tensioner “base” and pulls it up to tighten. If the bolt is coming out as you loosen, the “base” must be hung up some on the slide. You should be able to tap it down to free the A/C belt.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member

loosening the nut on the pulley worked. and i think i would recommend that instead of banging on it with anything to prevent damaging it. was easy enough to loosen. And for my purpose of taking the timing cover off i actually needed to remove it anyways to get to the bolt on the cover.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

SinusoidalTendencies wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:45 pm loosening the nut on the pulley worked. and i think i would recommend that instead of banging on it with anything to prevent damaging it. was easy enough to loosen. And for my purpose of taking the timing cover off i actually needed to remove it anyways to get to the bolt on the cover.
S/T,

I'm glad loosening the bolt worked for you. The action of getting the bolt loose must have been enough to free up the slide portion I was referring to. "Tap" and "bang" aren't the same thing and tapping on the top of the bolt would have freed the slide portion as well and would been the way to go if you didn't need to remove the pulley. I would apply a little grease to the surfaces between the pulley "base" and the slide portion when putting back together.
I think the nut on the front of the pulley has to be loosened before you relieve the tension. Don't quote me on that.
If Bailey is correct that would provide resistance to keep the tension bolt from moving on it's own as the vehicle is operated. However, the pulley stud would have to go through the "base" portion which seems a little unlikely. If that were the case, backing the bolt out wouldn't have been easy and would have likely goobered the threads up some. Does the pulley stud extend through and include the threaded portion for the tensioner S/T? I won't have time tonight, but will take a look at mine tomorrow if I remember. I glanced at the FSM and it didn't jump out at me,

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member

would love some focus on my vacuum questions. since i still need answers on that post.

the pulley is held on by a nut.
IMAG0919.jpg
IMAG0920.jpg

under the pulley is a seat/spacer washer that butts up against the bracket when it's tightened down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Great pics S/T,

I assume the part on the bolt on the pulley side of the slide moves freely? If so, that would snug up on the slide and make adjustment impossible w/o loosening. Again, great pics and thanks for taking the time.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member

Yes
SinusoidalTendencies wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:43 pm under the pulley is a seat/spacer washer that butts up against the bracket when it's tightened down.
---------------------------->^^<----------------------------------------------->^<-----------------------
--------------------------->part <-------------------------------------------->slide<-----------------------
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member

apparently spaces are not displayed as seen in the editor
i had to add all those dash's to get the ^'s and noun's lined up under their respective references