Alignment

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Alignment

Post by Petros »

you must be from the south to call a u-turn a "you-be".
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ColSwede
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83 Tercel Wagon 4wd

Post by ColSwede »

Colorado originally. Lived in Philly for a while too, not by choice...

Update... It only makes noise when I crank it to the left but not to the right.
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

I am thinking it might be the outer cv joints on the axles... Not thinking they're liking the new angles from the lift... Once the weather warms up a touch, may have to take the struts apart and cut part of the Springs off. I haven't measured yet, so I'm not positive but I think the front end sits higher than the rear anyway.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

i have a 1" strut spacer in the front,,they had to slot the strut holes for alignment
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

Well... Guess if they'll have to do that, then I may need to get on with checking the ride height and figuring out how much of the coil springs I'll need to cut off... No sense in having them notch the bolt holes until I've got the ride height and everything else situated.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it if makes clunking when you turn during acceleration, that is almost certainly the CV joint. if you allow it to get really bad, the steering wheel will also want to jog back and forth with clunking. Fairly easy swap out if you have a big wrench to get the axle nut off at the wheel. take me about 40 min to swap out an axle at each side.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

ColSwede wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:44 pm Well... Guess if they'll have to do that, then I may need to get on with checking the ride height and figuring out how much of the coil springs I'll need to cut off... No sense in having them notch the bolt holes until I've got the ride height and everything else situated.
Colswede,

The attached link takes you to a discussion that includes a May 6th, 2017 post where I provided measurements before and after the spring swap (front and rear) on the Rusty Frog. I believe I was measuring in the locations suggested by the FSM and this is when I still had the stock wheels, so it should give you a pretty good reference. Of course, you have to be on a nice flat surface (concrete likely best) to get good measurements. Mine never looked bad or drove bad. As a matter of fact, I put months/miles on it before I finally got the alignment. If I were you, I wouldn't be in any rush to cut the front spings until I was certain everything else was good.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12627&p=97771#p97771

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Here are a couple current pics of the Rusty Frog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

Thanks. I'm gonna try to remember to take a tape measure with me to work tomorrow and check it out in the parking lot. I'll post here with my findings. And I only hear/feel the issue when turning sharp at low speeds, it's doesn't happen when driving straight, or even during regular turning or cornering.
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

So I did measure her, at the bottoms of the back of the front wheel well and the bottom of the front of the rear wheel well... Kinda by the stock jack points. She sits 11 inches off the ground.