Alignment

Here's some good repair guides for your Tercel :) Look here for help first!
ColSwede
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83 Tercel Wagon 4wd

Alignment

Post by ColSwede »

I found the spec post for the alignment but don't see anything in regards to getting the camber set correctly after having done the lift, with the Moog coil springs up front and the pathfinder coils in the rear. Does anyone have that info? My mechanic said he could open up the holes on the lower strut mounts, not sure if that's the best idea...
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Alignment

Post by NWMO »

ColSwede,

Did you use the Moog 81043 spring? A small town shop provided my new alignment when I put the larger tires on and never mentioned any difficulty or asked me for any additional info. related to camber. Finally back to driving her and enjoying it immensely.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Camber cams maxed out? Slotting of the strut or adding a camber bolt would be the next step to correcting it. Slotting strut tower holes can also be done when all else fails.
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

Grinding out the lower strut mount bolt holes was what my mechanic said he could do to fix it. Wasn't sure if that was the best way to go about it. He just replaced my outer tie rods and now the tires rub on something when I go to crank the wheel all the way... Will that get alleviated once the camber is fixed?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

ColSwede wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:55 amnow the tires rub on something when I go to crank the wheel all the way... Will that get alleviated once the camber is fixed?
The size of wheels and tires you are currently running, along with the offset of the wheels, will also affect rubbing on full lock. What size wheels and tires do you have, and what is the the offset of the wheels?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

ColSwede,

I'm running the 14" MR2 wheels with 225s I believe and I get a very slight rub when I max steer. These little cars turn so sharp, I just back off a tiny bit and have no issue with it. I would expect the rub to have more to do with oversized tires/wheels or wheel offset than I would camber.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

no one has ever had reported any alignment issues after raising their Tercel. you may have an issue unrelated to raising it, was it ever in an accident? you might check out the frame alignment, I have seen that more than once. An accident was not properly fixed, and it does not allow proper alignment. And of course the seller rarely discloses it.

We have that issue with my wife's Lexus, fortunately is not severe and it with the rear wheels, where there is not a lot of adjustment available. We just drive it as is.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

Now I'm not sure if it's a rubbing sound or something connected to the fact that I just had both outer tie rods replaced...

A little history on my baby... My parents bought her in 1985, the engine block was replaced at around 60k due to a bad oil pump. My dad drove her daily. My older brother learned how to drive (period and a stick shift) on her, and I did the same. I acquired her around '97 when the transmission went out and I told my parents not to trash her. I got a used trans (with about 95) and new clutch installed at 164k. She sat in storage from 01 until late 17 when I pulled her out and got her back up and running. Between myself, my brother and my dad, we've managed to wreck her about 8 times, at least 4 of those times she was technically totalled...
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that might explain the alignment issue. gonna need a bigger hammer...
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

Would the new tie rods cause a noise when turning the wheel all the way to one side?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

ColSwede wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:58 pm Would the new tie rods cause a noise when turning the wheel all the way to one side?
Probably not, unless your mechanic really, REALLY f-ed up setting the toe.

You didn't say what tires/wheels/offset you have on the car currently.
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

My rims are the exact ones that were bolted on in the factory and the tires are the recommended size.

When just driving, everything handles well... 75mph on the highway to just putzing around town at 25mph... Except when I go to flip a U-be when I head out for work in the morning, or when I park it at home and crank the wheel...
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

If you're running stock tires and wheels and you're getting rubbing, there should be tons of clearance. Use Keith's method for checking toe just to make sure the wheels are relatively straight

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2273

but can you also take some pics of the front wheels/tires for us? If the camber or toe are that far off, it should be obvious.

What is "flipping a U-be"?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I would not flip one of those, might scratch the paint and damage the body panels.
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

U-be=You be going back the way you came...

I'll see what I can do about getting pics I've tried looking under the car with the wheels cocked all the way, can't see anything touching...