Where is the Back-up light switch is located?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Dumindu
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota tercle 4wd DX Wagon 1452CC

Where is the Back-up light switch is located?

Post by Dumindu »

My car is a Toyota Tercel 1987 4WD 1452CC DX Wagon.

Yet my car Back-up light is not working with reverse gear. Earlier connection wires couldnt find and I could find it with your guides.

I connected the found wires to a wire hanging from the gear box but that wire was a ground wire. Now I am using a manual switch installed near the gear shift lever to light-up the back-up light.

As I found in the service manual that proper switch should located on the right aspect of the gear box. But I cant see any switch or a hole for the switch in my gear box.
Back-up switch.jpg
If anyone knows the exact location of the switch please advice me (better if I can get a real photo) so I will able to at least find the hole for the switch (If it has been removed) to install a new one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Where is the Back-up light switch is located?

Post by xirdneh »

its on right side front of tranny. has two wires. nut size is about 1-1/16" your picture shows it. the top one
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Is that picture of the bottom view of the gear box or top view of the gear box?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is the top view. It would be hard to see from the bottom, use a light and look up over the left side, it looks like an oil change plug with a wire coming out of it.

I have never heard of the switch itself going out, usually it is a worn or chaffed wire (gets cut from rubbing against frame or other hard part). Often if someone removed the transmission for other service (like a clutch, or replacing the rear main seal), they will forget to connect up the wires again, or perhaps they damaged the wires removing the trans (that is fairly common when someone forgets to disconnect the wires from the trans).

If the wires are all okay, and you have confirmed the wires are not damaged, it would be easier to remove the switch by lowering the back of the trans by unbolting the rear cross member and let the rear come down several inches. you should not have to remove anything else just to lower the trans, and it will make access easier if necessary.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Dumindu
Top Notch Member

Post by Dumindu »

Thank you very much for your comprehensive guide.