Odd coolant leak

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Odd coolant leak

Post by Petros »

gnarnold wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:31 am I...have heard of people using a raw egg for leaks one time In was in an desperate situation and used black pepper it worked for a while until the smog guy put it on his dynamo and full throttled it like a jerk and ruptered the crack at the top of the rad on the plastic part .needless to say he was a little mad that his new dynamo machine was bathed in nice hot peppery smelling coolant .300 bucks and look the other way I still passed smog .it sure was funny .
I have heard of using black pepper, in fact a friend of mine did it on his VW golf with the plastic radiator. it had a crack that leaked coolant out the top. he put black pepper in it while it was idling, and we watched the leak diminish to nothing. he drove it that way for months, than sold the car. I warned him at best it was a temp fix, and I was surprised it worked at all on such a big crack. He said it always has worked for him.

When I was in collage a friend of mine said that "red pepper" works, it is much finer mixture of particles, mostly plant fibers ground very small. I have also heard of using raw egg. that does not seem like a good idea at all, not very durable if it does work, and who knows where it would end up. at least the tiny plant fibers would stay in suspension in the coolant mix.

Next up, eggs, salt and pepper, with a side of bacon to keep the water pump lubricated.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Post by gnarnold »

Bacon grease is not a bad idea .ahh the many uses of salt pork .
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that would put your Tercel4wd on a keto diet.

Reminds me of many cars from the '40's and early 50's still used whale oil in the rear diff as a lubricant. Typically a barn find will have the original diff oil in it. when people go to drain it, they discover a VERY foul and fishy smell out of the diff oil. the thought of it makes me nauseous.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Yeah that stuff stinks when its new I woukd have never thought as I aged fish would be the final aroma . I've had the misfortune of getting new differential oil on my clothes and as you obviously know ..that smell will remain on the fabric long after the fabric itself has disintegrated and returned to the earth .I smell it just thinking about the shirt .even the memory often damn shirt itself has a hint of it .reminds me of 10 dirty armpits and cheap gasoline.
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I do not care for the odor of new gear oil much, that old Whale oil lube must have smelled a whole new level of foul.

We are talking real whale oil, made from whale blubber. After being inside a differential housing for 60 plus years. It is the kind of odor that will make you want to seal up your whole work shop, encase in concrete, and have it declared a Superfund, hazardous materials waste site. It is enough to make your eyes burn at 100 ft away.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Geese .that sounds really really bad .
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I have an old bottle of positrac additive that was gramps that has to be whale oil based. It's separated into half liquid/half Crisco and smells terrible. Just read on wiki about how trans failures skyrocketed after the 72 ban, and how our space program still uses it on another site.

Gear oil always stinks, way worse when you nuke it. Had a coworker forget to refill a rear axle which made it 100 miles. The remaining oil residue smelled otherworldly. Boss very not happy.. Another was a mid 90s Subaru that had the awd clutch solenoid fail and go full 4x4. Lady drove it until the seals melted in the rear diff. The growl was unlike any other diif noise I've heard. Even the mount bushings holding it to the car were melted and gone. Smelled almost as bad as #1