LOW fuel warning light stay on whole time .

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
toughtercel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 83 4WD with some SR5 equip

LOW fuel warning light stay on whole time .

Post by toughtercel »

Since owning varies Tercel since 1995 . It the first time that I got some weird thing . It started last week that Orange fuel light lit on , but my fuel gauge shows 1/2 full then I fill it up , the Orange low warning light remain stay on .( light stay on )
so I test the wire at the top on send unit , there not much to test it then look into Tercel Factory Manual , there no explain if the light stay on .
I m not planning to take the gas tank out for small thing . Sound like wiring in the send unit went faulted .
any hint if you guys have the same experience as my .

Thanks
Bruce
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Re: LOW fuel warning light stay on whole time .

Post by rer233 »

Simple to diagnose- un-plug the connector at the fuel tank- if light is off with key on, you have a problem with the tank sender. If light still on, problem is somewhere in the car's wiring. BTW, you don't have to drop the tank to access the sender.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: LOW fuel warning light stay on whole time .

Post by Petros »

you can access the sender without removing the tank: you pull back the rear area carpent and remove the meal hatch (like 6 or 8 screws). that exposes the top of the tank and the sender cover, you can disconnect the wire connector and see if the light goes out. as I recall disconnecting it should make it go on.

if you remove the round cover you can remove the whole sender, and the low fuel light sensor. once out, you can clean up the contact on the fuel level senders, and perhaps cleaning out the low fuel sender may make it work. (it is separate little device on its own support stalk).

On my daily driver mine has never worked, despite cleaning the sender several times. You can live without it, I have for 15 plus years. you can always remove the bulb from the back of the instrument cluster if it is annoying.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)