Snopocolypse Seattle: 2019

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Re: Snopocolypse Seattle: 2019

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

dlb wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:34 pm We have almost 2' of snow here. This was my first time trying the Rav4 in the snow aaaand...

...it's been awesome! Even better than my T4's and AE95's, probably due entirely to the ground clearance. I hoped I wouldn't be able to get out of our driveway to get to work but for better or worse, the Rav4 didn't hesitate.

Every now and then, I consider going back to a 2wd vehicle, but when we get a lot of snow like this I really enjoy having a fun, capable little vehicle to get around with (and do the occasional empty parking lot snow drifting in).
My sister lives in Victoria, apparently the entire city is shut down due to the snow.
This is all very amusing to us, being as that we were raised in the unofficial snow capital of Canada.
IMG_3671.jpg
This is a picture from last winter. Its natural habitat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
toyotasr542
My tercel:: 1984, tercel sr5 wagon

Post by toyotasr542 »

The stoke has been high in Glacier. This is from wednesday evening, dusted Parliament off and took it for a spin, otherwise it would have been covered clear above the black trim by this morning

Last edited by toyotasr542 on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'90 4runner 4wd sr5, OM617.952 turbodiesel/R150F transmission, ~155k on odometer, ~10k on swap
'84 Tercel 4wd sr5,
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Glacier, WA? You guys must be loving life right now... I'm heading up to Alpental after work today, I-90 is finally open after being closed for most of the last three days.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

dlb wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:34 pm We have almost 2' of snow here. This was my first time trying the Rav4 in the snow aaaand...

...it's been awesome! Even better than my T4's and AE95's, probably due entirely to the ground clearance. I hoped I wouldn't be able to get out of our driveway to get to work but for better or worse, the Rav4 didn't hesitate.

Every now and then, I consider going back to a 2wd vehicle, but when we get a lot of snow like this I really enjoy having a fun, capable little vehicle to get around with (and do the occasional empty parking lot snow drifting in).
A Rav4? What year? We're looking at a beat up 99 4runner.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

Same same out here on the Kitsap Peninsula. Probably close to 2 feet combined. I lived in Montana for many years so I'm quite used to snow driving. However, NO ONE out here is. They were either driving waaaay too fast or waaaaay to slow. I'd read all over this forum how great our T4's are in the snow but I finally got to test it for myself and boy was it fun!

I put some car canopies in the back of my house due to a leaky cedar tree right over my parking spots. It was really nice to not have to dig my car out at all. Although, I did have to clear all the snow from the top of them about 4 or 5 times throughout the night so they didn't collapse.

A friend of mine lives atop a pretty gnarly hill and my T4 just chugged right up it with no problems. Meanwhile, enormous lifted trucks were sliding all over the place and stuck in peoples yards while I just drove past them. I was giving friends rides all over town for groceries and medicines and what not. At one point I had five people and my 160lb dog in the car! Work was cancelled Monday and Tuesday but I went in anyway. Thoroughly impressed with how these little gems power through anything thrown at them. Someone on here said their friend called their T4 a "slug on rails." Pretty aptly put I think but in this snowstorm it felt like a turbocharged slug!
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

We had a blizzard at the end of last winter and I hit the deepest snow yet, headlights deep with some snow pushing up the hood.

2 weeks ago out on the lake I made the mistake of getting on the month old plowed road. Little did I know it would soon be drifted in terribly with high sides only a tracked vehicle could possibly escape. Didn't dare stop and couldn't back out as I was squirming all over the place following full size truck ruts. The drivers side floor could use some sheet metal, the snow kept bumping me in the foot! EL and 4-5000 rpms for a half mile got me through. Lot's of heads poked out of fish houses as I got to the spot where only big trucks and snowmobiles were parked. I blazed my own trail after that. T4's never cease to amaze.

This has also been the worst year for me with snowpacked wheels. I've had a broomstick riding shotgun all winter.
toyotasr542
My tercel:: 1984, tercel sr5 wagon

Post by toyotasr542 »

I regularly drive up hwy542 at 4-5am in the winter in my t4wd. Usually i am beating the DOT for more than half of the trip. A few weeks ago I had to put my 1000lumen headlight on in the car since I was trenching above my headlights
'90 4runner 4wd sr5, OM617.952 turbodiesel/R150F transmission, ~155k on odometer, ~10k on swap
'84 Tercel 4wd sr5,
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

irowiki wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:19 pm

A Rav4? What year? We're looking at a beat up 99 4runner.
It's a '99, one of the first gen. I've generally been happy with it, but that's partly because I don't bother doing big jobs on my own vehicles anymore -- my mechanic told me that replacing the clutch on it was a huge job due to the way everything is jammed in. I do miss the simplicity of the T4, without a doubt.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

dlb wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:21 pm
but that's partly because I don't bother doing big jobs on my own vehicles anymore --

I do miss the simplicity of the T4, without a doubt.
Ah, we are the same way now. I'll replace an alternator, spark plugs, radiator, thermostat or a CV axle, but the timing belt on a transverse engine? Off to the shop it goes! :lol:
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

irowiki,

My 18 year old son and I tackled the water pump on his Chrysler Sebring w/ transverse engine. Unfortunately it is driven by the timing belt, so we had to do it all. It took a few tries to get the belt back on correctly with the DOHC, but we got it and the engine is doing well. Unfortunately he needs ball joints all the way around and a tie rod replaced. He lost a lower ball joint while driving this weekend and he chose to have it towed and repaired at the shop ($475). Like most here, I have more projects and repairs needed than time.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Two storms in the forecast. Mn is poised to set a new Feb snow record. My usual lake is beyond the limits of a T4 now unless a really hard crust forms that will keep it on top. Didn't make it very far this last weekend in a 3/4 ton with newer snow tires and there's 2 small permanent fish houses that need removal soon. Good thing we know a guy with an old snowcat that I helped get running. Look how nice my gorilla tape mold on the rear quarters for expanding foam still look!
0119191354.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

:)
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

That snow cat is awesome. It reminds me of the one from The Shining:

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

pic of the abandon Subaru in front of our home after several days. Wonder if something broke on it, it is still there even though road has been cleared by now. looks forlorn and abandon.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)