1985 4WD Deluxe

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Yaut
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD automatic, lifted 1.5", 15 inch wheels

1985 4WD Deluxe

Post by Yaut »

Hi everyone. Just thought I'd post my car for anyone interested in that sort of thing. It is a 1985 Tercel Deluxe with the unfortunate automatic (although it works great). It is lifted about an inch and a half with custom made spacer on top of the strut in the front and taller springs in the rear. It is sitting on 15" wheels with 205/70/15 tires. The front and rear bumpers are custom built from plate steel with a 3,000 lb winch in the front, LED's and a 2" receiver in the rear. The car has 102k on the clock and runs pretty good (although a 4ac and Weber would be a nice upgrade).

download/file.php?mode=view&id=9911
download/file.php?mode=view&id=9913
download/file.php?mode=view&id=9912

Bonus picture of it next to my 82' Chevy LUV diesel
download/file.php?mode=view&id=9914
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Yaut on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'88 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (red)
'87 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'86 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (tan)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (white)
'84 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (dark orange)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 1985 4WD Deluxe

Post by splatterdog »

Chevy Luv??!!! Haven't seen one of those since the early 90's. That last one had a 1/4 plate as wide as the frame hammer formed and welded along the whole frame on both sides, bumper to bumper!

Pics aren't coming thru, but the T4 sounds nice. Petty low miles. Your winch/bumper sounds strong enough to do this-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RXV-p_Ec6Q
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

where are you from?

your pictures are not posting, try using the file loader at the bottom of the screen when you post.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Yaut
Top Notch Member

Post by Yaut »

Thanks everyone. Sorry about the pictures. Apparently Dropbox's permanent shareable link isn't permanent after all.

Splatterdog
I'm sure that LUV was a lot stronger than it used to be, they aren't know for being structurally strong haha. Mine looks rough from the outside but is actually in very good shape. The little Izusu diesel has a lot of life left in it being that it's only broken in at 160k miles. I'm sure the winch is probably better at pulling the Tercel up hills than it's own engine haha. To tell you the truth, I haven't even hooked it up yet as I just haven't found a need. This car will go anywhere!

Petros
I'm from southern Missouri. I frequent anywhere between Poplar Bluff Missouri to Springfield. These cars are VERY uncommon around here unfortunately.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

that is a great looking front bumper/winch set up. not a bad looking Tercel, despite its age. Are those tie downs along the roof line? That is a massive looking trailer hitch on that thing, what do you expect to tow with maybe 62 hp and an auto trans?

I actually owned an Isuzu P'up, bought new in about 1986 as I recall. Gasoline, never gave me a lick of trouble. Best little truck we owned, drove it all over the US. A bit under powered, but overall an excellent little truck. The first 100k of miles the only thing it needed, besides oil, and filters, was a set of wiper blades, one set of spark plugs, tires, and a fuel filter. We sold it when our first daughter was born because we could not fit a car seat in it. We regretted that later when we bought some land a few years later and decided to build a house on it. I still see those diesels around here, some are 4x4 too. Usually they are pretty rusty, but when I see one I consider offering them money so I can have another old cool project to restore. Than I force myself to walk away, just walk away...
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Yaut
Top Notch Member

Post by Yaut »

Yes indeed. Those are tie downs. Although I need to powder coat them as they are starting to rust. I don't expect to tow much but rather use it to mount a motorcycle carrier to carry dirt bikes to the campgrounds or what have you. This car has barely enough power to pull itself uphill haha.

P'ups were great! They were identical to the '81 and '82 LUVs and were surprisingly well built although very slow, especially the diesel but the torque is great as it is was basically a tractor engine. The gas burners were great engines too. I don't recommend buying one if you're not looking for a project as the parts are not easy to find. It took me months just to find a decent heater core as they are specific to these trucks and aren't made anymore. I actually find it a bit easier to find parts for than the Tercel though. At least in this area.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Hey, Welcome fellow Missourian!
Where/when did you buy the T4WD?
There was someone on here in January of 2018, offering 3 T4WDs. He claimed he lived in Carter County off US 60, deep in one segment of the Mark Twain National Forest. He never followed up on the results of his For Sale email. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12992&hilit=forest
While there never were many members in MO, the only ones still active are NWMO near Maryville and moi in Kirkwood, a 'burb of StL.
There were three others in the Metro area, but they've been long gone, and dunno what happened to their cars.
Tom M.

P.S. Your bumpers look great!
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Yaut
Top Notch Member

Post by Yaut »

Wow. That is very interesting. I also live in Carter County on a farm in the Mark Twain National Forest. I had no idea these cars existed. This car is not one of those as I know the history quite well as I am friends with the original owner. That post is from quite some time ago but I would be very interested to know if they still have those cars for sale. I know someone who had an 84' but sold it a few months back that is a member of this forums but I do not know his username. Please let me know if you come across any deals in my area :) I'm actually going to be in your area today around Hazelwood for work.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

Hi Yaut and welcome!

Your T4 looks awesome! Did you fab the bumpers yourself? I'm getting ready to have some made for one of my rigs and I've been looking around for ideas. Did you make a template or have specs on them by chance?
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
Yaut
Top Notch Member

Post by Yaut »

Thanks Abletocain,

I'm probably not going to be much help. These were made by a shop years ago that I believe is now defunct. If you would like, I can try to get some pictures of them and some measurements but it won't be for some time as I am away from the car at the moment.
travelbyota

Post by travelbyota »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:45 am Hey, Welcome fellow Missourian!
Where/when did you buy the T4WD?
There was someone on here in January of 2018, offering 3 T4WDs. He claimed he lived in Carter County off US 60, deep in one segment of the Mark Twain National Forest. He never followed up on the results of his For Sale email. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12992&hilit=forest
While there never were many members in MO, the only ones still active are NWMO near Maryville and moi in Kirkwood, a 'burb of StL.
There were three others in the Metro area, but they've been long gone, and dunno what happened to their cars.
Tom M.

P.S. Your bumpers look great!
Another Tercel in Missouri, nice and even lower miles than my '84! I am in SW MO, Springfield. I never have run across another one of these driving in this part of the country. Plenty in the PNW when I was there.

I grabbed that stash of T4's mentioned, hadn't seen anything like that before or since. Still have the creme '85 but it will probably be used for parts/repair for the '84. The silver '86 was disgusting and sold as a parts car to someone up North. The '88 went up that way too with a replacement trans I grabbed from a rare find at the local pick n pull.

K
79 Subaru Brat 4WD, 84+85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD, 85 Toyota Xtra cab 4WD, 07 Subaru WRX AWD turbo
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey Byota,

There was a T4 in a Humansville, MO junkyard a couple of years ago. I don’t know if it would still be there or not. It seems like the JY was called Scott’s or something like that.

Are you actually in Ozark? I worked at a Christian boys ranch in Lampe, MO (just SW of Branson) twenty years ago. Beautiful country down there around the lakes and rivers!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

Welcome to the forum, Yaut! That’s beautiful country out that way. Took the family to Pilot Knob to go to the Shut Ins, Tom Sauk, Elephant Rocks, Big Spring, and Grand Gulf a couple summers ago. The Current River is an amazing float, too.

Byota, I’m not too far from ya. Half way between Springburg and Branson. Score the trans at Buddy’s?

Hey NWMO, was that Kids Across America Camp or Kanakuk? I deal with both regularly as a parts peddler at the GM dealer in Branson. You ever venture down to Barbosa’s? Had a family reunion in St.Joseph over the summer and got my wife hooked on the Mexican fare there.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
Yaut
Top Notch Member

Post by Yaut »

Byota

That's awesome! I actually mostly live and work in Springfield but have a farm out near Poplar Bluff where the car is currently. I just finished a bunch of maintenance on the car today and am planning on driving it down to Springfield later today. I'm glad you got that stash of Tercel's and they didn't go to the crusher.

Slimdude

Thank you. Yes, I love this area. It is quite beautiful. I grew up on the Current River.
Yaut
Top Notch Member

Post by Yaut »

I drove the T4 about 3 hours to Springfield today. It did good other than it starting to overheat if cruising over 55-60. The cooling system is really dirty from sitting for years so I'm sure cleaning it will help. I already replaced the water pump, thermostat, rad fan, and rad cap because they were all trashed. Previous owner had only used straight water in it.