Recommendations- Snow tires r13 options?

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
nerdsrule
My tercel:: NEW! '87 t4wd dlx, red. "slow red rocket", "Steve Turkel" in contential as names.

Recommendations- Snow tires r13 options?

Post by nerdsrule »

Im on the lookout. Vredestein makes the Arctrac in a studdable 155/80 r13, but not sure its available in the US. Also the Nokian Nordman 7 in the same dimentions, but same story...
What are other folks running (that I can get in the US?)

Did a few searches and didnt come up with anything comprehensive, but might have been looking in the wrong places. Apologies if I am repeating a question here.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Recommendations- Snow tires r13 options?

Post by splatterdog »

You might have to step up to 14 inch wheels to get much for options. I put some 195/70r14 General Altimax Acrtic12's(12's are the latest version) on mine last year and they rock. Very smooth/quiet compared to the older Arctic's, not that they were bad.

If you like to play in the snow some generic 5 spoke alloy wheels are best. I've spent a fair amount of time this winter poking out snow packed wheels. 2 weekends ago after 19 inches fell, I couldn't even see my wheels they were so packed. MR2 triangles are my fave wheel, but are the worst for snow packing.

Another thing to figure out is if deep snow or ice is what you will be facing. "ice" tires obviously do better on ice but are not as good in the deep stuff. The Generals are great all around snows that don't cost a fortune either. I've even got a couple people who don't drive much that run them year round. You would never do that with Blizzak's.

These look exactly like Arctics(not 12's) and just might be the same tire. General basically relabels Nordfrosts https://www.amazon.com/Vitour-POLAR-STU ... +snow+tire
nerdsrule
My tercel:: NEW! '87 t4wd dlx, red. "slow red rocket", "Steve Turkel" in contential as names.

Post by nerdsrule »

Local tire place we like can actually get either which is sweet. The vredesteins look pretty mean. I do know and love the altimax arctic, have run the new and old version. Something sort of rad though about a 155 snow tire, good for slicing through stuff. I wouldnt mind keeping the stock white steels with hub caps, but they will pack full of snow. A set of old winter rally wheels would be perfect. Time to hit up some really nerdy friends!
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

My Subaru WRX currently has Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 and I really like them. I've driven General Altimax and Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires were born in Scandinavia, so you know they're the business. Best snow tires I've ever run, they walked my lifted Subaru hatchback up a monster grade from a stop with a car load of people.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited