Imported 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 Automatic 4WD from Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, BC

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Vince
My tercel:: 1986 4WD DLX

Imported 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 Automatic 4WD from Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, BC

Post by Vince »

The transmission on the old tercel finally gave out on the freeway the other day, conveniently at 5 AM on the way to work. My wonderful ma picked me up and drove me to work. She found a great deal on craigslist that same day for another tercel... posted from Vancouver Island, BC. The deal was too good to pass up. So Kenya and I drove up the next day, took a ferry over to the island, and picked up the car. Drove the car down and spent the following day in Victoria. Then drove back to the ferry the next day and imported the car! It was an amazing trip. I wanted to thank my ma for finding the car, Ben and Lisa for a great sale experience and Kenya for being the perfect spontaneous adventure partner.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vince

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretsky" - Michael Scott
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Imported 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 Automatic 4WD from Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, BC

Post by Mattel »

Good work! Is one an auto and the other a manual? How hard was it to import to the US? you might find another transmission to keep both on the road?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Vince

Re: Imported 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 Automatic 4WD from Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, BC

Post by Vince »

Mattel wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:11 pm Good work! Is one an auto and the other a manual? How hard was it to import to the US? you might find another transmission to keep both on the road?
You are correct the white one is an automatic and the other one is a "6 speed". Going to miss grabbing gears in the mud and the rain but I am going to treat this new one much better. Importing wasn't too bad! Couple pieces of paperwork. Going to sell the other tercel to a friend of mine.
Vince

terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Vince wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:58 pm The transmission on the old tercel finally gave out on the freeway the other day, conveniently at 5 AM on the way to work. My wonderful ma picked me up and drove me to work. She found a great deal on craigslist that same day for another tercel... posted from Vancouver Island, BC. The deal was too good to pass up. So Kenya and I drove up the next day, took a ferry over to the island, and picked up the car. Drove the car down and spent the following day in Victoria. Then drove back to the ferry the next day and imported the car! It was an amazing trip. I wanted to thank my ma for finding the car, Ben and Lisa for a great sale experience and Kenya for being the perfect spontaneous adventure partner.
That's a DLX; not an SR5. SR5's did not come with automatics unless they were the AV-II Sprinter Carib editions made/sold in Japan.
K-Business
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

white one looks like a DLX to me TDude. It has the body colour painted door frames
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Vince

Post by Vince »

Mattel wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:11 pm Good work! Is one an auto and the other a manual? How hard was it to import to the US? you might find another transmission to keep both on the road?
Sorry for the late reply Mattel. You are correct. The copper colored one is a manual while the white one is an automatic. Importing was not bad at all. I did a little research prior to importing, and since the car was older than 25 years old, the importing process was a lot simpler.
Vince

Vince

Post by Vince »

Mattel wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:50 pm white one looks like a DLX to me TDude. It has the body colour painted door frames
Oops I now see that I responded to your first post twice. But good to know I have a DLX!
Vince

Vince

Post by Vince »

terceldude wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm
Vince wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:58 pm The transmission on the old tercel finally gave out on the freeway the other day, conveniently at 5 AM on the way to work. My wonderful ma picked me up and drove me to work. She found a great deal on craigslist that same day for another tercel... posted from Vancouver Island, BC. The deal was too good to pass up. So Kenya and I drove up the next day, took a ferry over to the island, and picked up the car. Drove the car down and spent the following day in Victoria. Then drove back to the ferry the next day and imported the car! It was an amazing trip. I wanted to thank my ma for finding the car, Ben and Lisa for a great sale experience and Kenya for being the perfect spontaneous adventure partner.
That's a DLX; not an SR5. SR5's did not come with automatics unless they were the AV-II Sprinter Carib editions made/sold in Japan.
Awesome; good to know. Thanks!
Vince