Transmission 85 For sale

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
stefando
My tercel:: The Caribou: 1983 SR5

Transmission 85 For sale

Post by stefando »

Hey everyone, I recently bought a parts car off a friend who drove it without oil (oof). I have an 83, so certain things are just not swappable but overall it was definitely worth the 100 dollars. The transmission shifts good, drained dark though (I heard wasn't there) and I want a backup but it's the later gear ratio. Thought someone on here might want to snag it for a project or as a backup etc.. Not sure what a fair price is or how exactly you'd get it but it's on the vehicle here in Northern CA and I'd love to see it go into someone's car.
1983 SR5 Brown
Salmon River California
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Transmission 85 For sale

Post by xirdneh »

tranny by itself is swapable between all tercel 4wd's
the front differential assy itself is swappable only if the rear differential ratio matches

I assume you mean the tranny/differential combo was ran with no oil
the differential retains a bit of oil because of a short divider between tranny and diff so it will probably be ok
the tranny will overheat and the signs of that are black gears instead of silvery gray and if it got real hot the gears will have a messed up looking wear on the teeth instead of a shiny smooth surface..
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
stefando

Post by stefando »

The motor was run without oil so they sold me the car for parts, the transmission and transaxle/ diff combo setup is all fine.
1983 SR5 Brown
Salmon River California
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you got a good price on that parts car. once you strip everything off of it you can likely get about $80-100 for scrap. I have done that with rust bucket cars just to get the transmissions. the whole car is cheaper to get than just a transmission, and a lot of other spares too. but you have a lot of work to strip and than haul off the hulk.

of course if the body on your parts car is decent, not wrecked or rusty, it would be a shame to part out and scarp a good chassis/body. Those are getting hard to find (I also hate doing body work, so it is worth it to me to mechanically repair one with good interior and body/paint).

Depends on the condition of the transaxle, and the mileage, the trans is worth $250-450. on the open market. $250 would be a great price for a good working transmission. Though picknpull will have them on their half off days for about $100, but of unknown quality, and you have to pull it yourself. it is a lot of work to pull it, install it and find it is bad, pull it out and return it. at least they give a 30 day warranty, but a lot of effort to find out it is bad. I have collected a number of pickn pull transmissions, grabbing them when they showed up just to have spares. If they check out good, I can save them for forum members to keep their cars running. bad ones I give to forum member Xirdneh for his parts stash, to allow him to piece together working transmissions. I have my own private supply of good spare trans to keep my own T4wd running for a long time.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
stefando

Post by stefando »

Awesome, I thought about the potential for this car to hit the road again someday. It's an Oregon car, non SR5 with a bit of rust but nothing like the east coast. The PO says it drove okay but it would need a whole lot of work all around- Paint's peeling, interior is pretty trashed but the good thing is that the title is in the glove compartment(!) Not sure how it would be more valuable for me, I've already taken a rear window (tarped it) and these are some wet funky winters we have here in the Norcal mountains.. It's a shame this motor was destroyed like it was, I actually remember when it was sold to the PO and I had wanted it and wasn't quick enough; super sad to see how it was neglected the last couple years since.
1983 SR5 Brown
Salmon River California
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

about the only way to throw a rod on these engines is to run it without oil. Otherwise the low end is darn near indestructible if normal care is taken.

There have been people on this forum (used to the check engine light, which most people ignor) who kept driving long after the oil light came on. One kid I knew who's mother gave him an old camry with almost 400k miles on it to drive to school, drove it for a week with the oil light on. he called to ask if I knew why it stopped running. I went over to look at it and a rod had punched clean through the side of the block, no oil in the crank case. engine compartment was clean! After one look I told him he need a new car, it is not worth fixing (he had already ran it into a ditch and mashed up the body work on one side). he was curious how I knew that so quickly, I point at the big hole in the side of the engine, his next question was "that is not supposed to be there?", I said the manufactures always puts holes in the side of the engine so you can see how the well the internal parts are working. I quized him on what the car was doing before it stopped running, says it ran fine and than just stopped. after further questioning he said there was an oil change light on the dash for over a week, he figured he would change the oil later. I asked him to show me the light on the dash, it was the oil pressure light.

When manufactures put too many warning lights and buzzers in the cars, they will all get ignored. Good for the manufacturers, not good for hapless owners of older cars. The can also create safety hazards, on more than a few anti-lock brake equiped cars I have owned, the anti-lock warning would come on, and after a careful inspect/repair of the brake system I could not find a cause. So I paid a local shop to down load the stored data and is showed no malfunction. So I just ignored the warning light.

Many years ago when I worked at the local airplane builder, there was a big conference of both airline manufacturers and airlines because of a number of fatal accidents and crashes where cockpit recorders indicated how flight crews would shut off the warning buzzers and ignore them. there were so many false alarms, and often the sensors themselves were malfunctioning (causing too many false alarms), that the warning buzzers themselves became a safety hazard because of too many false warning, it was teaching flight crews to ignore them. These warning buzzers were mandated by federal law, just like in our cars. It was when the manufacturers had to start automating monitoring of the systems, so the flight crew did not have to be bothered with the warning systems.

Something to be said for simplicity, and to know the car's systems to avoid safety or unnecessary repairs. Or in your case, the early demise of a running car. One reason I do not care for the new wave of self monitoring cars, too many systems to maintain. Remote monitoring of the new cars also gives the "big bother" opportunity for the government to send you a fine for not maintaining your car.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Petros wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:14 pm One kid I knew whose mother gave him an old Camry with almost 400k miles on it to drive to school, drove it for a week with the oil light on. he called to ask if I knew why it stopped running. I went over to look at it and a rod had punched clean through the side of the block, no oil in the crank case. engine compartment was clean! After one look I told him he need a new car, it is not worth fixing (he had already ran it into a ditch and mashed up the body work on one side). He was curious how I knew that so quickly, I pointed at the big hole in the side of the engine, his next question was "that is not supposed to be there?", I said the manufacturers always put holes in the side of the engine so you can see how the well the internal parts are working. I quizzed him on what the car was doing before it stopped running, he says it ran fine and than just stopped.
HAW!
Sounds like my grandson and some of his friends - they are all 23-24, and whizzes on anything with a board and diodes and resistors and those kind of thingies, but autos? :lol: :roll: :cry: :lol: :roll: :cry:
I did my best over the years to introduce him to tools, but he'd rather follow his father, a KU grad who has everything known to man with a Jayhawk logo on it, just like my KU gkid. Oh well -I taught two of my girls to drive a stick, but gave up on his (eventual) Mom before she ruined my beloved '86 626.
Sigh ...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Find an engine to drop in!!!
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

How many you want- I've got 4!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Lukasloza
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Vagon

Post by Lukasloza »

Hi. Is it automatic, or manual?