Front coil springs

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
ColSwede
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 83 Tercel Wagon 4wd

Front coil springs

Post by ColSwede »

My 83 dlx tercel wagon sat in storage for a while. I got her out last year and quickly got her running. I want to build brand new front struts top to bottom and have found almost everything except new coil springs. Anyone know where I can find them? No luck on Amazon, rock auto or even Toyota themselves. Any help would be great!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Front coil springs

Post by NWMO »

ColSwede,

Possibly a helpful link, take a look.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12616&hilit=moog+81043
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

NWMO, if I was reading that right, Nissan Pathfinder coil springs will fit, front and rear? How much ride height will that add?
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

I've got '89 Pathfinder rears on mine, lifted it about 3" in the rear. I still have stock fronts, gives it a bit of a Mopar rake a fixes the crazy understeer that the factory setup has.
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

Were there any modifications that had to be made, or do they just slide right in?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

ColSwede wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:37 pm NWMO, if I was reading that right, Nissan Pathfinder coil springs will fit, front and rear? How much ride height will that add?
ColSwede,

The Pathfinder springs go on the rear only, the Moog springs go on the front. I felt like it did add 2"-3" over the old soft springs, but believe it was more in the 1"-1.5" add over stock springs in good shape. No modifications necessary, just normal care getting them in place.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

Sweet! Thank y'all so much!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you might consider choping a coil off the rear path finder springs to reduce the amount of lift, but still get the higher rate rear springs.

I have a pair of rear pathfinder springs I pick up at the wrecking yard that I have yet to install, but do not want 3" in the rear. So chopping one coil may just give me a more acceptable 1" to 1.5" rear lift.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Here are a couple of more pics of the Rusty Frog with Pathfinder rear and the Moog springs in front, with 14 inch wheels and slightly larger tires. I've not got to drive it the last year as the engine laid down on me shortly after, but I'm making headway.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12919&p=99750&hilit=pics#p99750

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

The pathfinder coil springs (because I know nothing of them) that y'all put on the back of your wagon, are they from the front or rear of the pathfinder?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

ColSwede,

If you do a search on this site, you can find the appropriate years, but they are from the rear of the Pathfinder.

From a quick search, it looks like 1st gen Pathfinders should work (1987-1995).

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

I did see some one mention '89 pathfinder springs and I looked that up, and it appears that about' 87-95 match...
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

these are the "first generation" Pathfinder also known as the "hard body". I used to own one, one of the best SUV I have owned, drove it 370k miles with very little maintenance. I had the 5 speed manual trans, and I never had an issue with either the trans or clutch (original clutch lasted 370k+ miles!). they were the only Pathfinders sold in North American that were made in Japan. Later body styles were made in the Ohio Nissan plant.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ColSwede
Advanced Member

Post by ColSwede »

Just ordered those moog springs, along with the gas cartridges and new upper strut mounts! I already have new front wheel bearings and ball joints... Hoping this will fix the wobble in the front end... Gonna have to find some time to go yank some coil springs from a pathfinder in a pull and pay... Will update when everything has been installed. Thank you all again for your help!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Good Luck ColSwede,

Be safe, lots of punch in those springs and always block your vehicle. I was working on my son's Ford Maverick last summer and had is slide off the jacks when I didn't take the time to block it. No injuries or real damage, but it's sometime easy to overlook the small things that keep our hobby fun and safe.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain