Pre Webber Engine Fixish

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

G'day Folks

I'm goiing to need a bit of an engine rebuild, before attaching my new DGV weber me thinks(nothing like jumping on the bandwagon-thanks for the writeups fellas).

The engines only done 180,000 kms but I'm pretty sure the timing belt has been done only once. Also the Oil Leaks and Water Pump need attention. So I've booked in for a major service (otherwise I have to work on a fairly major street). I got a new Timing Belt of ebay for $11 aus.though.

While my mechanic is working on it should I ask him to replace anything else thats simple to get at/fix while he's poking about there as I understand that the weber will stress this engine out.

Also, my top end sounds liike a sewing machine right now (unless I'm reving at about 4000 rpms),

Apparantly the Aus Tercels can run on unleaded fuel so should I get new valve seat seats for car? currenlly I run on premium unleaded (98 octane) and put an additive to help with the valve lubrication. What do the rest of you sussies run on?

Thanks guys.. any info would be appreciated

Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

youll probably need a head rebuild, i needed to do that precicely to my car it sounded like a sewing machine after the rebuild it was back to normal with a little more power
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Mattel wrote: G'day Folks

I'm goiing to need a bit of an engine rebuild, before attaching my new DGV weber me thinks(nothing like jumping on the bandwagon-thanks for the writeups fellas).

The engines only done 180,000 kms but I'm pretty sure the timing belt has been done only once. Also the Oil Leaks and Water Pump need attention. So I've booked in for a major service (otherwise I have to work on a fairly major street). I got a new Timing Belt of ebay for $11 aus.though.

While my mechanic is working on it should I ask him to replace anything else thats simple to get at/fix while he's poking about there as I understand that the weber will stress this engine out.

Also, my top end sounds liike a sewing machine right now (unless I'm reving at about 4000 rpms),

Apparantly the Aus Tercels can run on unleaded fuel so should I get new valve seat seats for car? currenlly I run on premium unleaded (98 octane) and put an additive to help with the valve lubrication. What do the rest of you sussies run on?

Thanks guys.. any info would be appreciated

Matt
The Weber is a great plan!

Your engine may have fewer problems than you think.

The Weber shouldn't stress your engine out (as long as it is properly jetted). If it were running too lean or rich, then your engine would become unhappy.

Haha! Every 3AC I've heard does sound like a sewing machine to me. Although yours may be worse. Check your lifters to see if they need adjustment.

All the Tercels in North America don't need leaded fuel. Are you sure yours is supposed to take leaded? Be careful with this. It should say on your gauge cluster, and on your fuel filler door or gas cap whether it should take leaded or not. Maybe the 3AC that went to Australia was different and designed to take leaded fuel, but I don't think so.

A good compression check should tell you what type of shape your engine is in. Also the reviness and response. You can also get work done after the weber has been installed if you need to, so don't rush things.

Also, you can check the condition of the timing belt as described in the repair manual.

Good luck.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Thanks guys,

I'm sure my last Tercel with the import motor sounded a lot diferent as it was probably a 3Ascv and was a lot more revvyer than my /84

All vehicals sold in Australia Since 1985 have had to run on unleaded fuel and untill recently most service stations (servo's) have carried the lead free version of super but now it's being faded out

The newer 85 onwards Tercels probably have a little less power than the older leaded engines as a lot of manufacturers had problems also complying there cars to more stringent emmisions standards that were also passed through then.

I'm running on 95 octane premium unleaded (gas) and put Valve master in the tank which is meant to help lubricate the valve seat seals. Which are probably of a stronger matal on the post-87's perhaps not sure if anyone else can help me on that one.

I've also got a major High speed wobble in my front left wheel, The Drive shafts seem quite new and CV's don't click. Its not so bad when I step on the gas around the corner but the wheel almost shakes out of my hands when I'm coasting! any clues?

Thanks again guys!

Matt
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms