Suzuki TBI

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
rocketscience
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5

Suzuki TBI

Post by rocketscience »

I've nearly gathered all the parts I'll need to try doing the Hornbeam TBI conversion but need to make an adapter plate. I read on here that Gasoline Fumes posted a drawing of his at some point but was unable to find it. I'm sure I can make one up pretty easily but thought I'd ask if anybody remembers or happened to save the template, it would save me a little time. Thanks!
rocketscience
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD SR5

Re: Suzuki TBI

Post by rocketscience »

Well i took all the measurements and spent way too much time trying to get this free linux cad program to work for me but I have a template put together that should work. I'm hoping I can print it to scale and once I figure that out tomorow I'll upload it so anybody else on here that's interested could just tape it to a piece of 3" stock and punch the center points.

From base to air filter shoulder the metro/swift TB is a lot shorter than the carb, especially when you factor in the terc's heating spacer. With that spacer included its almost 5" for the carb vs 3 5/8 for the metro. I'm going to open up the hole in a factory air cleaner so it'll sit on the TB shoulder and should have zero problems with hood clearance. That'll also make it look stock. I'll have to thread the rest of the hold down stud on the throttle body and maybe cut some off the end.

The long bolts through the throttle body only extend about 1/2" out the bottom but I'm considering making the adapter thicker to act as a spacer to possibly help a small amount with mpg or torque. Anyone try this?

The metro vac advance unit off the distributor is also almost an exact match for the tercel's. The diaphram canisters are slightly smaller in diameter and the arm is a little shorter but it mounts in the same, maybe with a shorter arm you'd get a hair more advance when cruising?
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Neat!
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Interested to see how this plays out.