Asa’s Sunshine Wagon - 1984 Tercel SR5

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
asa
My tercel:: 84 SR5

Asa’s Sunshine Wagon - 1984 Tercel SR5

Post by asa »

I’ve always wanted a 4wd Tercel but honestly never researched them much or made much effort other than looking at the ones that pop up for sale occasionally. Then I found this one locally, it seemed in good condition, so I sprung for it. The previous owner had it for 2yeads and did quite a bit of engine work and got it to pass Colorado emissions which it did not previously, for whatever reason.

It has 257,000miles on it with about 50,000 in a rebuilt engine. Interior is in perfect shape, rust is limited to a couple coin size spots, and I like the color. It has upgraded front brakes and some other small common mods.

My plan for it is to wring out all the issues which currently looks like suspension and CV shafts. I like being somewhat original so I haven’t decided if I’m going’s to be doing the stock setup with new springs from Pedders or doing the Abra Cadaver lift. Whatever it is, I want new parts because why the hell not. This is a cheap enough hobby that I can do new parts. The goal is in the process here, I don’t plan to sell and make any money. ALso would like to restore all the exterior plastics to black and touch up the SR5 and 4WD logos. I’m a sucker for retro.

So far...
New headlights, cleaned stains from interior, new speakers. Just ordered all new OE Toyota bushings for the front end ($$$) and have a large a RockAuto cart to purchase when I nail down if I want to do the lift or remain stock. Main decision factor is timeline getting springs from Pedders vs the potential issues with sharp CV angles of the lift. I don’t mind the stock ride height necessarily but I want to get rid of the rear sag and the front shocks need replaced BAD.

Here are some pics of it with my roommate’s 1984 Subaru GL.

Excited for what’s to come...

(Sunshine wagon because I’m located in Sunshine, Colorado)

-asa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Asa’s Sunshine Wagon - 1984 Tercel SR5

Post by splatterdog »

Welcome! Looks like a nice start to T4'ing. It might be just the first.. Not surprising given the location of this post, but I think your car is way cooler!

Did you get it from a member? The brake upgrade leads me to believe that.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReiOmtL45hU

If you go to part 2/2 of this video and you will see where they try to pit the Subaru against the Tercel.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
85tercel4wd
My tercel:: 1985 4wd SR5

Post by 85tercel4wd »

Congrats! I'm also a new owner of an 85 I had shipped from denver. Yours looks really clean
asa

Post by asa »

Thanks! Not sure if the couple I bought it from were members. One of the wives really did a lot in terms of engine/carb/emissions. I hope to do the same in the suspension department.

The Subaru isn’t as good of condition mechanically or cosmetically, but it’s still a fun car both to drive and wrench on. I think they make a good pair but am indeed partial to mine (because it’s mine).

-asa
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Mattel wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:06 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReiOmtL45hU

If you go to part 2/2 of this video and you will see where they try to pit the Subaru against the Tercel.
All things being fairly equal, I'm calling tires on that hill climb, perhaps with a touch of biased/inexperienced driver. Yes I will admit, I'm biased too. I will probably never get over the 100 to 1 ratio of subes vs tercels I experienced in my bay during the late 80's. Guessing on the subes but half that ratio is actually 1 tercel, ever. Yes they both have the same cool factor, but I think the tercel was built better. Solid rear axle on the T4 makes it more truck like, scoring more points for me. Front calipers on subes had the parking brake integrated(like weird Saab's) so no skid steering and less reliability. Y-pipe converters that rusted out or melted down inside early on, attached by fragile aluminum head threads(seen one with lag bolts). Everyone in the shop would try to dodge them. Some car haulers next door brought in 3 different Brat's this summer that refreshed my memory. The bodies weren't too bad but they all screamed painful project. 12 cv axles needed for starters and they're not even off the flatbed yet.

Can't say I would never own one though!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Its a total advertorial. WIth the Tercel (that came with Mud/snow tyres) it has road tyres and then he dumps the clutch up the wet hill.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

It's all good. I speed viewed the vid. I can be a little fierce in defense of T4's. New snow tires last winter gave me a little superiority complex on top of that. It was like my first big block, LOOK OUT!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum,

Nice Tercel4wd. I am curious, what is the brake up grade? was it from my Repair guides thread on up grading the brakes? or something else?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
asa

Post by asa »

Petros wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:04 pm welcome to the forum,

Nice Tercel4wd. I am curious, what is the brake up grade? was it from my Repair guides thread on up grading the brakes? or something else?
To be honest, I'm not totally sure. I think they said Corolla brakes? Haven't dug into it yet to find out for certain. Whatever it is, they work well, although it seems like it pushes the front wheel out and the lugnuts aren't holding much of the lug. But I haven't taken the wheels off yet to inspect. Plan to tear into it this weekend. My RockAuto suspension order should arrive tomorrow. Went with the Abra lift (all new parts) and have an OE order of all new bushings for underneath. Also replacing front axles.

-asa
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you should go over the brake up grade repair guide elsewhere on this forum and look it over. As I recall the corrolla brakes have too much offset to make work without a lot of changes, but can work with spacers. I suggest you either go to the smaller of-set calipers and rotors (as outlined in the brake upgrade thread), or go get some longer wheel studs to install on the hubs to you have better purchase on the lug nuts.

It does not sound safe if you are only grabbing a few threads on the lug nuts. longer studs with spacers will make your front track wider, and may push the wheels out past the fenders.
asa

Post by asa »

Petros wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:56 pm you should go over the brake up grade repair guide elsewhere on this forum and look it over. As I recall the corrolla brakes have too much offset to make work without a lot of changes, but can work with spacers. I suggest you either go to the smaller of-set calipers and rotors (as outlined in the brake upgrade thread), or go get some longer wheel studs to install on the hubs to you have better purchase on the lug nuts.

It does not sound safe if you are only grabbing a few threads on the lug nuts. longer studs with spacers will make your front track wider, and may push the wheels out past the fenders.

The brake work great now, and the track looks good, so i’ll probably just press in new studs. Seems pretty trivial compared to replacing all the brake stuff.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

It is good the brakes are working well. But installing longer studs can be a PIA, you may have to remove the flange from the hub to get them in place. You might be able to wiggle them in, if you remove the sheet metal splash gaurd. I once broke a stud and it was more work than I expected to get a stock length one installed.

If the brakes work well than there is no reason to change it now. It is just something to consider when they wear out and you have to replaced them anyway. With the right combination of parts, including a rotor with the correct offset, you can install the larger brakes without any spacers or shims. this is desirable on a number of levels, most of which is it puts the loading on the wheel bearings where the factory intend it. I do not know if running spacers affects the loads enough to matter, it just put the wheel position back to where it was intended, and I suspect the brake rotors would run a bit cooler as well.

I am running 3 mm (1/8") spacers under the rotors, when those rotors wear out and need replacing I will be buying the rotors with the correct offset so I can eliminate the spacer. I hope to find some drilled and slotted ones that should improve braking even more, and look cool too.
asa

Post by asa »

I’m full into the surgery, at least on the front half. The Cardons axles I got didn’t fit into the diff so instead of doing the janky fixes, I’m sending them back to RockAuto and getting my OEM ones rebuilt locally by a reputable shop. Mine actually aren’t bad at all besides the boots. Another good outcome... my front sway bar ends looked awesome once I chiseled off the metal sleeves. Freshened them up with a wire wheel and they are ready to go when the bushings/sleeves arrive. The rubber bushings themselves were pretty dead.

One of my control arm bushings was totally shot so I’m glad I ordered those. Didn’t know the condition when I made the order.

Both front shocks were completely inop... no rebound when I compressed them by hand.

Tomorrow my bushings, springs, ball joints, and shocks should arrive and I’ll take my axles to the reman house.

Onward....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

CV boot replacement isn't all that difficult. Only thing is, to replace the outer boot (the one that usually fails) you have to dissemble the inner joint and remove that boot so you can slide the outer boot off. What ever you do, DO NOT attempt to take the outer joint apart- I did it once decades ago and had a b*tch of a time getting it back together (boot wouldn't come off that way even after I took the joint apart.) Be sure to mark the orientation of the 3-way inner joint cross with respect to the axle shaft so you can re-assemble it the way it was. Otherwise, you'll get a vibration. I've done a bunch of OE Toyota axles, but I always change the boots AS SOON as I see they're leaking. In fact, I keep a couple of "repaired" axles in stock so I can just swap 'em out and replace the split boots at my convenience. RA sells the kits cheap ($4-$5) so I keep a few of them in stock too. One other tip- a few years back, it seemed I was having boot failures on a regular basis- so I made it a point that whenever I parked my cars, I had the steering wheel centered. GREATLY cut down on outer boot failures (I have 3 Tercel wagons tagged, titled and insured.)

Good Luck- hope this helps!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)