how many MPG do you get with basic 3ac?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

How many MPG are these basic 3ac driven 4x4 wagons supposed to get? I've read posts stating anywhere from twenty-one to forty-two MPG. My experience with five of them has been around 28-30 MPG in city/suburb and around 31-34 MPG highway. One of them ran 24-26 city/suburb and 27-29 highway for a while after rebuilding it but a new cam and vacuum advance brought it up to par.
what do you get?
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

Currently, I'm averaging 33.6 MPG, mostly 2 lane highway driving around 60 mph. It's gone up a little after doing different repairs on my car. I'm pretty satisfied, I might try de-carboning the engine sometime and see if that helps.
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
Carguylen
Top Notch Member

Post by Carguylen »

I made a BIG mistake and got an automatic. It's a good car, but it only gets 22-24 MPG. I have an 85 Tercel 2 door that I use as my daily driver/paint truck, and it gets about 31 with the 4 speed manual.
dcn
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 4WD SR5 Wagon

Post by dcn »

I get 31-33, mix of city/highway. Mostly city though, so I'm happy. It was up around 38 or so, but I had to put a replacement part in the engine that seems to have affected it. Got a bunch more I have to trial and error to see which is best. Manual trans, and my car is very well tuned I'd say, thanks for my Dad (and me passing him tools/trying to learn :) ), not only do I very rarely downshift for hwy hills, I sometimes don't even need full throttle in places I used to.
Metallic Blue '87 4WD SR5
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I get (got) 34 mpg average split highway/city with traffic jams included. With a canoe and a full load it went down to 31.
Ogedei
Advanced Member

Post by Ogedei »

I am getting around 26 but I drive in mountainous country and find that I am having to step on it alot to get to speed. Might have a vacuum leak as I hear a sucking sound under the hood, hopefully that will increase my MPG.
<span style='font-family:Optima'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:green'>1984 SR5 4WD gold 140k miles running superbly on new clutch</span></span></span>