Radiator fan problem (81' tercel)

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
stayparanoid
My tercel:: 1981 toyota tercel

Radiator fan problem (81' tercel)

Post by stayparanoid »

So i have a problem here. I live in Austin, TX and i noticed the other day that the radiator fan was not turning on at all. It stays cool while moving but in traffic it wants to climb quickly. Fortunately, I caught it before it overheated too much. The fan is loud so you know if it isn't turning on. I started by changing the relay, it didn't run. Then i changed the temperature switch, still nothing. I pulled the temp switch to see if it would turn the fan on and it didn't. So from there i put some jumper wires from the battery to the motor and it did kick on, so i assume that the fan motor is good. i have un-raveled a lot of the wiring conduit and from what i am seeing, everything looks good. very clean actually.

i am at a loss here. i don't know if these things happened at the same time but i noticed that the blower fan motor does not turn on either. it definitely did a week or two prior to this situation though. also i dont know if this has anything to do with it or not but the day the fan stopped working, i also did a tune up to the car, adjusted timing, fuel mixture (weber), and idle screw. it was working when i was doing that because i was waiting for the fan to kick on before i tuned it.

there isn't a lot of information out there about my year of tercel so i take everything on here with a grain of salt.

any of you have any suggestions so i can get Saxon back on the road?
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Re: Radiator fan problem (81' tercel)

Post by slimdude85 »

While I’m not sure of your problem, I also have an ‘81 Terc and have a Bentley manual that has a pretty good wiring schematic. Without looking in depth, the only thing that I can think of that may cause both the blower and cooling fan to stop working is if they share a common ground that went bad. Any way, here ya go. If this doesn’t work, I’ll try to get some scans tomorrow.
F19857AC-FAA3-41F3-B8AC-9E3B5B4A8489.jpeg
6BC5DA79-C7AD-4D3F-9C18-8838AF4EBAC0.jpeg
011E6657-3FED-45D0-9414-96F3131DF1BB.jpeg
6029D075-1059-44B8-A48D-9E6BA70C6139.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
slimdude85
Advanced Member

Post by slimdude85 »

Separate posts it is...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
slimdude85
Advanced Member

Post by slimdude85 »

Number 3...

slimdude85
Advanced Member

Post by slimdude85 »

Last one....

slimdude85
Advanced Member

Post by slimdude85 »

Did you change the coolant temp switch on the engine or the fan switch in the bottom of the radiator?

Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I do not know, but there may be a fuse to check too. I know it is easy to forget the obvious.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
stayparanoid

Post by stayparanoid »

slimdude85 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:25 pm Did you change the coolant temp switch on the engine or the fan switch in the bottom of the radiator?
I'm definitely going to check out these wiring diagrams. I replaced the fan switch at the bottom of the radiator with a new aftermarket one. should i replace the coolant temp switch too? wouldn't have thought to try that. it appears to be reading temperature properly.
stayparanoid

Post by stayparanoid »

Petros wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:02 pm I do not know, but there may be a fuse to check too. I know it is easy to forget the obvious.
to my knowledge, i dont think there is one. at least nothing labeled radiator fan. it could be tied into something else though.
stayparanoid

Post by stayparanoid »

Petros wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:02 pm I do not know, but there may be a fuse to check too. I know it is easy to forget the obvious.
although based on the pictures posted there is some sort of fuse. i'll have to check into that.
slimdude85
Advanced Member

Post by slimdude85 »

The temp sensor in the head is for the gauge in the cluster. As long as the needle is moving, it’s working, so there’s no need to replace it.

slimdude85
Advanced Member

Post by slimdude85 »

Ya might look into that fusible link between the fan relay and ignition relay. Fusible link is just a section of wire that’s designed to burn up, instead of the primary wire, in the event of too much current being drawn.

stayparanoid

Post by stayparanoid »

slimdude85 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:46 pm Ya might look into that fusible link between the fan relay and ignition relay. Fusible link is just a section of wire that’s designed to burn up, instead of the primary wire, in the event of too much current being drawn.
is the fusible link just a little wire in a loop that is attached to an wire connector? i see one of those and it is white. how can i check to see if that is the problem?
slimdude85
Advanced Member

Post by slimdude85 »

I’m not exactly sure what it looks like, to he honest. I noticed it in the diagram. It’s between where the wire transitions from brown to white. Typically when a fusible link goes, its burns. 99% of th time you should be able to tell just by looking at it. Although it is a 37 year old vehicle, so there’s no telling if it failed as intended. With a multimeter, you should be able to test for continuity.

stayparanoid

Post by stayparanoid »

Still never found a solution to this. I cannot find anything wrong in the wiring. I have to assume that it's a ground or something.

Anybody have any ideas on putting it on a manual switch for now? Not sure how I could wire that up