Brand new cooling system new overheating issue

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
cars-guy
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Brand new cooling system new overheating issue

Post by cars-guy »

I recently replaced the water pump, oil pump, and thermostat plus new belts all the way around in my 220,00k tercel. Water and oil pump are oem aisin from rock auto and the belts and thermostats a quality gates parts. It never had an over heating issue before i tore into it. I did a proper coolant flush on it and put everything back together with fresh 50/50 green coolant. now it runs hot. I replaced the radiator and it helped a little but not much. The motor is happiest above 2500 rpm and the temp gauge goes back down to the middle. at idle it starts to go up again. I suspect a bad thermo stat. if anyone has any ideas

My main question is, what brand and temp of thermostat should the car have? Stock 3a motor. Is 180 degree stock or 170?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Brand new cooling system new overheating issue

Post by ARCHINSTL »

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
cars-guy
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Post by cars-guy »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:38 am viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9719&hilit=thermostat
Tom M.
Thanks for the reply but that thread really have an answer. I’ve used the search button but no one has any specifics on the thermostat temp.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Post by gnarnold »

viewtopic.php?t=9786&start=45
Learn from my mistakes .the lessons are free
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|