Fixing Up Jenny

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Re: Fixing Up Jenny

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Petros wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:03 am get the vac diagram and check the routing of every single vac line, look for leaks, cuts, mistrouted lines, disconnected lines.

until you know for sure the vac lines are routed properly, you can never get it right unless all of the vac lines are correct.
The vac lines are in the right spots. The automatic choke/enricher circuit seems to stick on, causing the revving.

A problem I identified is that the carb gasket is leaking, you can hear it sucking air. I'm going to go pick one up. If that doesn't solve my problem, what else could it be besides a vacuum leak?

The car ran excellent previously.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

if you can hear sucking air, than it still has a vac leak. fix that since you know it is bad, before you try anything else. if it has more than one thing wrong with it, you have to find them and fix them one at a time. all your symptoms sounds like a vac leak, could also be improperly adjusted linkage/throttle cable tension, etc.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
travelbyota

Post by travelbyota »

Easiest way to check for vacuum leaks is to spray every joint and gasket on the intake with carburetor cleaner (use the extension hose so its very specific to the location and keep it out of the air cleaner). It will either lower or rev up where the issue is, if any. Don't imagine things, it will be extremely obvious and repeat on testing.
K
79 Subaru Brat 4WD, 84+85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD, 85 Toyota Xtra cab 4WD, 07 Subaru WRX AWD turbo
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

I am certain the carb gasket is sucking air, I sprayed a bit of fluid on the corner that is leaking and it sucked it right in. Gasket will be in tomorrow or Monday, hope that fixes it.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

The new carb gasket solved the problem. Thankfully.

I'm in the process of cleaning up the oem roof rack and will soon start on the lift kit. More pictures to come.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Does anyone know how to get large dents out of a tercel roof? The previous owner was a bit careless with his kayak it would seem.

When I push the dent up from the inside of the car it just falls back into place. It bugs the hell out of me...
8ton
My tercel:: White 4wd

Post by 8ton »

The metal has been stretched, and will need to be shrunk to be tight again. See if there is a 'paintless dent repair' person in your are, or do it yourself. A shrinking disk on an angle grinder as well as a body hammer set will work, but will likely need to repaint.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

seems like using some panels of plywood, blocks, and a jack to push up on the inside should stretch it back the other way. I have the same issue, and tried pushing up on my with my back from in side. it pops up, but pops right back. I have yet to try and force it back up, you have to yeild the sheet metal for it to stay in the popped up position.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Petros wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:03 pm seems like using some panels of plywood, blocks, and a jack to push up on the inside should stretch it back the other way. I have the same issue, and tried pushing up on my with my back from in side. it pops up, but pops right back. I have yet to try and force it back up, you have to yeild the sheet metal for it to stay in the popped up position.
I'll try that.
travelbyota

Post by travelbyota »

...by 'yeild' the sheet metal, push it up and put a few very small dings with a bodywork hammer and it should hold. Test by trying to push it back down, lightly. Otherwise yes, the metal needs shrunk, which means re-paint.
K
79 Subaru Brat 4WD, 84+85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD, 85 Toyota Xtra cab 4WD, 07 Subaru WRX AWD turbo
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Got my homemade fitted sub box all mounted up and working...

IMG_4130.JPG
IMG_4129.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Shit, that's fancy!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

BaileySims wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:27 am Shit, that's fancy!
Thanks!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

turn the sound up enough and you may have enough power to pop your roof back out. ;-)
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Petros wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:35 pm turn the sound up enough and you may have enough power to pop your roof back out. ;-)
Well the sub and amp cost about $80 off of amazon, so I don't have high hopes, but I'll give it a try. :lol: