Automotive Machine Shop PNW

Post here about...well...anything!
Pleco815
My tercel:: 1986 4wd

Automotive Machine Shop PNW

Post by Pleco815 »

Was wondering if anyone out there living in Oregon or Washington recommends any machine shop nearby. Looking for one to modify 3a flywheel from 6 to 8 bolt pattern or swap ring gear from 3ac onto 4age flywheel after turning it down.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Automotive Machine Shop PNW

Post by Petros »

do not allow anyone to weld up the holes in the flywheel unless they are familar with welding on cast iron. it has to be heated in an oven until it is just glowing dull red, than after the welding the weld needs to be normalized (heat soaked long enough to even out the internal stress caused by the welding).

that is why modifing the 4age flywheel is easier, and safer since it requires no welding, only machining to the correct size.

You will have to look for a machine shop near where you live, look for a smaller one in your area who does custom work. there are also many skilled "hobby" machine shop operators. those with a well equipped machine shop in their garage or home shop. you can start with a local "speed shop", or off road shop, they often have their own machine shop, or can refer you to one they use.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

If your 4AGE is the early 40mm journal version you can direct swap a 3AC crank in place instead of having to machine the flywheel.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Action Machine in Lynnwood (iirc, used to be in Kirkland, but moved) does great work. They turned down a Subaru flywheel for me to lighten it up, as well as some head work for myself and a friend.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited