83 SR5 got some problems need input

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Re: 83 SR5 got some problems need input

Post by gnarnold »

Man .petros .i did all of that i swear a hundred times at least ok well maybe not a hundred physically , but if you count the dreams and images when I close my eyes of cranking tbe crank shaft taking of timing belt cover putting on timing belt cover protrusion and pin not drill rotor snaps back.....etc.it would be close to a hundred .BUT ! through shear determination and tbe thought of having to take public transportation has led me to get that grumpy old bucket of bolts runnung once again!
You ready?
It was the AAP diaphragm.?
Plugged both ends
Project complete? That was a trick question .its never complete .
Soooooo now tbe issue is a ticking noise .maybe a ping (it is quite noticeable.but when I had the timing light and adjusting the dizzy it would start to go away .
Last edited by gnarnold on Wed May 02, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

xirdneh wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:36 am Stuck valves usually cause ticking noise.
I just redid the valves. I adjusted the valves. (cold ) how tight shoukd the space be between the valve and points ? Right now it slides in with a little drag any tight we it would be hard to get it in there or out for that matter
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

you should have done them hot. you would only do them cold on an head you just rebuilt
very slight drag is the way i do it
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

↑ I pretty much did rebuild the head ..i mean except for the rocker arms and shaft .I replaced and lapped all the valves replaced all valve seals and cleaned tnr crap out of it there were only two exhaust points that needed adjusted .one was too tight the first pass the one was too loose on the second .the feeler gauge slid in between smoothly I didn't have go jerk on it to get it out but yiu coukd feel that it was between something. .I got it all together.took it9 up the street and I must say HUGE difference.gotbit in fourth gear seems good .when I parked I looked really close for leaks ...and none .I let it run for a little bit last night and then. Did a quick adjustment.doesn't seem to be as pronounced .but the true test is going to be her maiden voyage tonight .she's gotta about 50 miles to get home .its time to put the tercy to the test ..I plan on cruising 65-70. It normally woukd take a quarter tank of gas to get there at 80 mph .might have been what got me in this sutuation too begin with .wish me luck .u
Last edited by gnarnold on Wed May 02, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

gnarnold wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 10:15 pm I pretty much did rebuild the head ..i mean except for the rocker arms and shaft .I replaced and lapped all the valves replaced all valve seals and cleaned tnr crap out of it there were only two exhaust points that needed adjusted .one was too tight the first pass the one was too loose on the second .the feeler gauge slid in between smoothly I didn't have go jerk on it to get it out but yiu coukd feel that it was between something. .I got it all together.took it9 up the street and I must say HUGE difference.gotbit in fourth gear seems good .when I parked I looked really close for leaks ...and none .I let it run for a little bit last night and then. Did a quick adjustment.doesn't seem to be as pronounced .but the true test is going to be her maiden voyage tonight .she's gotta about 50 miles to get home .its time to put the tercy to the test ..I plan on cruising 65-70. It normally woukd take a quarter tank of gas to get there at 80 mph .might have been what got me in this sutuation too begin with .wish me luck .u
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

congratulations. ticking of the valves always happens when they are done cold, it will not harm a thing.

after you get home, retorque the head bolts in the same sequence, back off each one an eighth of a turn than torquie to spec. Never skip the head retorque. It can wait until 400 miles, but it can be done after it has been driven at operating temperature at about 100 miles.

This would also be a good time to check the valve clearance adjustment when it is warm, should be a snug slip fit for the feeler gauge. likely you will find one or two too large, which would be the sources of the noise.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

I feel like im going off to war .
PETROS .
Thank you.
I couldnt have don0e it without you .
If it wasnt for this site and all of the vast knowledge you fine people so graciously share , I woukd have set tbis car on fire and drove it of a cliff a long time ago
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Alright made it home .a couole of little issues but for the most part it sailed .hills that i usually had to down shift to get over flew up in fifth .and tje gas milage what would have been a quarter tank to get back barely hit a quartrrvof a quartet .I did about 70 mph all the way
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

GOOD, we saved another Tercel4wd from the firey pit.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Yeah WE. did just that one issue left I mean I. Have tried everything i know to get it to stop doing the high rev tbing when i take my foit of the clutch or go into neutral.
Also is it bsd to retorque heads hot or warn cause I did???
But Back to the high rev thing .
Bb bb.I tried reseting the idle mixture screw no luck .
BeCause it goes in the low 2000's everytime I take it out of gear clutch and nuetral
Last edited by gnarnold on Sat May 05, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Hello ?..............(. *Crickets)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Vacuum leak or a sticky throttle would be my guess. You have the stock carb? Maybe misrouted vac lines?
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Throttle cable too tight?
The vac operated throttle positioner on front of carb screw not backed off enough?
Recenty i have had trouble with old carbs hanging up. If i push the thottle lever down manually i get low idle. For some reason it hangs up. I added a spring to the spot where the auto trans would hook up. That ball shaped thing. The spring pulls straight down and finishes the job.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I would guess the throttle positioner too, it is the device on the other end of the throttle shaft (toward front of car) that prevents it from slamming shut. if adjustment is to far in, it will cause it rev up between shifts and at stops.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Thats what I thought aboutbthe throttle positioner cause when i had the catb out with tbe valve /head gasket job I made sure to back it off .and are you supposed to wait to the engine is cold to retorque the head bolts