extra mini exhaust pipe on 85 4wd

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
mtmtntop
My tercel:: 85 4wd wagon, 83 4wd wagon

extra mini exhaust pipe on 85 4wd

Post by mtmtntop »

one of my kids blew an engine on my beloved 85 tercel 4wd. I've had many of these and have one thats a daily driver. i came up with a good block and a good head, put them together and installed engine. I'm embarassed to say i can't remember where that extra exhaust pipe hooks up to the motor. normally i just look at the other car (an 83) but it didn't have it. It is about an inch in diameter runs from somewhere below the starter and is spliced into the muffler. at least one of these tercels came from california. I don't know where that pipe hooked to . at the motor end, it ends in a rubber tube that may have slipped into a pipe? I'm totally at a loss. If anyone knows, please help. thanks
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: extra mini exhaust pipe on 85 4wd

Post by BaileySims »

That air suction pipe emission pipe deal? It connects to the catalytic converter and should run to the right side of the motor and come under or around the starter.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
mtmtntop

Post by mtmtntop »

and connect to what? i changed the block and head and can't find anything to connect it to.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it is just a fresh air inlet, intake end is left open under the alternatior, the other goes though a reed valve camber (hangs near the bellhousing), and than goes into the side of the catalytic converter. The intake end looks like it should connect to something, but I think it has a foam plug to act as a dust filter and just is mounted to the side of the block.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

If I’m not mistaken, I think it goes to the reed assembly, circled in red. Pretty sure the pipe to the cat is the one circled on blue. The full page is also shown with no markings. Does any of this look familiar?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
mtmtntop

Post by mtmtntop »

it does look familiar. and i do have that 17303 pipe. do you have another diagram that shows what it goes to? I have been looking at that piece for quite a while trying to make sense of where it ended up. I am wondering if the block or head is different than what I had, though I can't see any difference. the configuration of the 17303 pipe would put its end between the alternator and the starter low on the block where there is absolutely nothing to hook to. Does it just end in space like that?
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

It looks like Petros has the answer above:
Petros wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:00 pm it is just a fresh air inlet, intake end is left open under the alternatior, the other goes though a reed valve camber (hangs near the bellhousing), and than goes into the side of the catalytic converter. The intake end looks like it should connect to something, but I think it has a foam plug to act as a dust filter and just is mounted to the side of the block.
If anyone would know, it’s him. That’s for sure.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
mtmtntop

Post by mtmtntop »

thanks petros. no wonder i couldn't remember what it hooked up to. It sure seems like some cobbled together system. must have been an attempt to meet emission standards somewhere. I don't think I have seen any other car that introduces air into a catalytic converter. Of course, this was 1985...
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

It does look rather poorly thought out, perhaps added late in response to emissions standards. The California model draws the fresh air from the air filter assembly, but works the same way.

The fresh air inlet into the catalytic converter was common back than. It allows extra O2 to break down the NOx, CO, and HC into N2, CO2, and H2O, all harmless colorless and odorless gasses.

Likely your cat is not longer functioning anyway, it can be just removed and capped off. None of the newer cats have that, perhaps because of more accurate fuel air mixture from the EFI systems. I always find that darn thing in the way whenever I work on my engine or trans.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)