83 SR5 got some problems need input

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

Re: 83 SR5 got some problems need input

Post by gnarnold »

Thursday is looking like the day for my exhaust valves.the guides and intake valves come tomorrow. On a side note I will say this the place where I got my rebuilf engine from didnt do a very good job in the giving a crap department .I decided to take this extra time and utilize the gaskets in my kit .the water pump area was disgusting the must have used a full tube of gasket sealant just around tbe water pump alone .petros sir , I was wondering your take on lapping tbe valves .I have seen tbe ensamble of you tube videos and was hoping to hear your opinion on the subject .also.... damn it forgot the question .anyways.......as I await the parcel person, trying to remember anything feel free to add any and everything time is on my side this round .
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

not sure if there is a question there or not. I highly recommend replacing the exhaust valves with new ones, usually the intakes are good with having them refaced in a machine shop.

the valves seats (in the head) should also be recut by a machine shop, though if not in too bad a condition, I have just lapped them with lapping compound with the new valves. I use a cordless drill on slow attached to the valve stem, and revers the direction, not too much speed. Keep checking for a clean seat without pitts or hollows. if badly pitted the seats should be recut. Most people use a machine shop, but there are some simple hand cutters that work excellent that you can buy. When done, be very careful to clean off all of the lapping compound, wash the head several times (both strong soap and water, and solvent), and use compressed air to blow everything off.

It is important to retorque the head after you have it running within 200-400 miles, and also check your valve clearance adjustment. the valves many settle in a bit and change the rocker gap, that could wreck the new valves if there is not enough clearance for when the engine heats up, it may not allow the head to seat all the way and it will cause the valve to over heat. the valve is cooled by the head when it is resting on the seat. BTW, this is my my head gasket mod is so important, it improves coolant circulation around the exhaust valves and helps to make the exhaust valves last longer.

Here is the hand valve seat cutter, if you buy just what you need for the 3ac (which is also good for the 4a engine) it is not too costly, the complete kits are expensive for an occasional DIY job.

http://www.newaymfg.com/cutters

'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

How do you get the valve guides out.do my pictures work and if not does anyone kniw a good hosting site to use to get them up
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

How do you get the valve guides out.do my pictures work and if not does anyone kniw a good hosting site to use to get them up
https://imgur.com/a/bD4qVyk
https://imgur.com/o1plfuy
https://imgur.com/gallery/ypUO1Md
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the guides are driven out with a special drift tool, i have seen it done with a hammer and tool, but I would not try it. the machine shops have a hydraulic hammer that vibrates it out. they are driven from the combustion camber side.

If the guides are in good condition I would not replace them. you measure the wear by putting a valve in them and than wiggle the head back and forth and use a dial indicator to determine the amount of side to side play. there is a spec in the service manual for how much play is acceptable. if they are worn out than best replace them, but I would allow a machine shop to do that, they are cast iron and if not driven straight can break off in the head. I have done it, and have not attempted to do it myself since.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Well needless to say the guides looked good got all the seals and valves lapped and installed .exhaust valves should be here tomorrow hopefully ..
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Good God let my work be good ...I need all the luck I can get did I mention im doing this under an oak tree in my friends front yard ?I was just supposed to be visiting for a day .
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

==) missed the damned delivery guy by minutes so today is the day .I used the extra time to clean all the gummy crapin the exhaust ports and all the carbonin the combustion chamber..cleaned up my cam bearings and reinstalled with some grease that spins nice even after the torque.intake mani bolted to head.replaced all vacume lines .
Hey petros ishere a way to make sure the new custom holes in the gasket .I mean i dint want to be off on the neasurementbanvdl
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have used a hole punch tool (one you drive with a hammer, see picture), and have carefully drilled it with a block of wood clamped on both sides of the new gasket (with plastic in between wood and gasket, to protect the gasket coating). drill it slowly and take care to drill in the correct location to position the extra coolant holes.

A clean hole is nice, but not really necessary since the holes in the block and head pretty much contain any delamination of the gasket.

I use a hole punch like this:
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Yeah I just drilled em with a brand new drill bit . but here is my current status: got the head back on by myself and I don't need to tell you that damn bypass tube and that exhaust pipe head did not do me any favors .drained the oil after. Using about a quart to flush crap down
Got it on TDC .gapping new plugs looking at the exhaust head pipe gasket I forgot to put on
But herecis something interesting you know that adjustment screw on the carb at the bottom? The one that is capped off usually.well as per the workshop manual it said U.S. models are 3 full turns out (Canada 2 1\2) well upon screwing it all the way in to get a seat before the 3 turns out I noticed the screwcwas about 5-6 turns out .woukd that have made it run rivh no matter what I did with the other screws ? So I did my 3 turns out and I guess im gonna check tbe valve clearances next then .bring it back to TDC. Put the rad.back in fill if check for leaks then figure out how to time with out a light .any tips on that ?
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

OT, but while you have the radiator out, do a vinegar cleanse!
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10496&hilit=vinegar
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that capped screw is only for idle mixture, does not affect mixture above idle. likely had notaffect on economy or drivablity. It was capped off to prevent owners from "tampering" with factory adjustments to statifey the EPA. No cars ever had this cap on the idle mixture until EPA ordered it.

with the cap off of it anyway, you can manually adjust idle mixture to ideal mixture, it is easy. with car warm and at correct idle speed, you turn the screw in until it slows or idles rough, than count the turns outward until it idles rough or slows, than screw it back in until half way between the two poor idling positions. It should be good, but if there is a slight flat spot off of idle, turn it out 1/4 turn, test drive it for a day, if its it is gone you are good, if not try another 1/4 turn out.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Got some very frustrating news for you guys .i started it up and .it turned over didnt sound too bad .except for a slight timing issue . then it started leaking oil pretty bad from the no 1 spark plug area of the head gasket..(I had a friend start it and personally seen it squirt with every rev ) but dripping massively from the rear of the block. I think it was a mixture of oil and coolant . I am sure the reason was because of my trying to do tbe head placement by myself .I literally had tbe head( w/o carb and distributor) in one arm , and managed to repeatedly adjust the uncooperative gasket. Need less to say my arm got tired and my patience wore thin so i grabbed tbe gasket sealant and squirted some on tbe rear passenger side corner of tbe gasket and driver side front corner of bolck .now im not sure if I used too much , or too much time went by and it hardened causing a unsealable hump .
Also it would seem that whilst putting it back un somehow the water inlet/outlet tube that goes into the into the passenger side middle of the firewall for the hot water circulation through the heater exchange (correct me if im wrong) it is that tube that runs along side of the engine block comes from the water pump well I guess I broke that off or it popped out at the firewal didnt notice until i went to find my smokes .when I noticed. 3"-4" of liquid on tbe passenger side and back seat passenger side floorboard .drained it so what I did was Im just bypassing that section of line and got the the two hoses that were used for the heater and connected tbem using tbe broken piece of tube. To join them togetber tbus completing the cycle of the tbe cooling system.ad
But wait there's more .
Got a new head gasket today lifted tbe head to expose coolant puddles every where and also was able to see how and where the gaskets integrity was compromised.so scraped the corners hit it again with some 400 grit wet /dry. Thoroughly cleaned both surfaces had two other people help me place it this time .I do not recomend trying to place the head solo .so got it all back together at sundown came I still had to get coolant .so whike im at the auto store I got some engine degreaser .my plan id to get the engine as clean as I can hopefulky it will be easier to spot fresh leaks .
Btw when i put the new gasket on it seemed to go on and torque mire evenly .also I used a dial type torque wrench in comosrison the the first gasket having used a dial pointer old style torque wrench .i think that the old style are not as accurate as the twist dial handle type .

Last edited by gnarnold on Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the only oil that passes through the head gasket is one pressure galley that passes from the block to the head in the front left corner of the block (near where the #1 spark plug is located). I find it hard to beleive that it leaks there, it has a built in seal. Was the installation of the head gasket badly botched? or was the head gasket damaged (folded, mutilated) in that corner?

I would more likely suspect it is leaking from the valve cover gasket and it running down the side, and than the oil runs around the head gasket edge, so it appears to be leaking form the head gasket. This is far more common, and unless somehow the new head gasket got really messed up, I would think a leaky valve cover gasket is more common.

Before you pull it apart, verify the oil leak is not coming from somewhere else. Clean it off and than have someone start it while you are watching for the source. take off the front timing cover so you can watch around the place there the valve cover gasket goes over the front bearing cap (also a common place to leak), or from the rear valver cover "half moon" seal (another common source of oil leaks).

BTW, you post is hardly understandable, use punctuation and please proof read it before posting. looks like you use voice activated text from an iphone.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

I did use voice activated text every time I start to type I doze off it gets a little frustrating.as far as the oil leak goes it dumps oil heading out to check the half moon thing had a friend help me out yesterday and maybe he didn't notice