83 SR5 got some problems need input

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
gnarnold
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4x4 with a tummy tuck and a nose job and now a pace maker!

83 SR5 got some problems need input

Post by gnarnold »

Hello guys it's been a long time let's start off with this a while back a few months ago I was driving on the freeway going pretty fast and engine started bucking not where you have short connection on ignition wire where cuts out and everything goes black. More like a jumpy Bucky when you lose power with every buck. So I let off the gas pedal went slower and it went away and I was able to drive fast again.
Two days ago I embarked on a 50-mile trip that I take quite often about halfway through as I was going up a hill it started do the Bucky losing power thing so I pulled over let it chill for a second and got back on the freeway then it did it again I did this two more times and on the third time it was fine and drove fast it was great all the power back everything was fine until I got about 2 miles away from my destination then it started bucking and kind of sputtering like a fluttering without any power vibrating barely and was able to crawl into my destination.
Check it out the next day pull the plugs number one was all gunked up black gummy crap all over it .second one was white not too bright but like the like a even White Dry fuzz. number three looks a little cooked had some stuff caked on it that that resemble rust it chipped right off and number for was white like the second one so I clean them up and did a regap with new wires distributor looked okay the rotor had spring tension. Still have no power
so I did the drop test I pulled the first plug wire and I noticed a slight idle degrade pulled the second plug wire major Los of Idol pull the Third no change I don't even bother pulling the 4th because it looked fine. Now I do have a slight leak on the plug side of the block at the head gasket area I am I believe I'm losing a little coolant but not too much I'm losing more oil I am coolant I have to put in a court about every 4 days on this 50 mile trip I lost a half a quart

it has been smoking when I first start it up and when I Cruise down the road to to the first stop light it smokes pretty bad but then goes away. I don't think it's blue smoke and now here I am stuck here at a friend's house trying to figure out what I should do first and if I'm going to have to take this head off and redo the gasket and or valve seal stems whatever any input would be greatly appreciated I wish I could say it's good to be back but I'm here yeehaw Image
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: 83 SR5 got some problems need input

Post by xirdneh »

I rigged up an old spark plug base with a hose connection so i could blow air in cylinder when valves are closed. Topped off radiator with water. When cylinder is pressureized water at radiator should not move. If it starts overflowing you have a bad head gasket.
Pretty sure thats what you have if your losing water and getting white smoke (steam) out the exhaust. Water drips into cylinder when car is not running. Also check the two graphite plungers in your distributer cap. A bad one can cause bucking.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Plungers ? Where upon the distributor would these be ?
I used to laugh at the man with a pinto :lol: , until I became a humble servicer of a tercel :|
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

And while im in there should the valves be replaced or refurbished what am I looking for as in wear or should I do it because its a good time to do it with it apart ? and is that gonna run my alot of dough and cost me a lot of time?thanks
Last edited by gnarnold on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Would a stuck valve and a leaky coolant bypass tube o ring cause the same symptoms .and whats a easy way without a compression gauge to diagnose this or does the head need to come off no matter what?
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

This is my first head gasket .im excited and a little nervous I've done pretty much everything else to this high maintenance homewrecker.i only have one shot at this any other tips aside from petros excellent guide would be appreciated
I have been this cars slave for almost ten years now .crazy .
Last edited by gnarnold on Wed May 02, 2018 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

You have to remove distributor cap to see the graphite things.
Compression tester is worth getting
There are videos on youtube specific to "toyota tercel 4wd"
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member

Post by xirdneh »

Stuck valves usually cause ticking noise.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

Ok took a gamble and struck malfunction gold .got the head off and i seriously think whoever put the head on before used either elmers glue for a head gasket or no gasket at all .see the pictures .also I looked at the valves and sure enough the no 3 cylinder exhaust valve was chipped. See the pictures .so i I have been following petros head gasket replacement instructions to.the word .now I need to get valves . what about valve seals and guides and is there a petros guide to valve replacement anywhere around ? it hasnt been too bad thus far. I hope it stays that way .where is everybody I know its been awhile , but why the cold shoulder ? geese. :)
Image I got some video of the valves gotta wait fot it to upload though .
Last edited by gnarnold on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

Most head gasket kits include valve stem seals, but if you’re just getting the head gasket, rockauto has both the seals and the valves(int & exh). As far as replacing them, that’s something I’ve not done. You’ll need a valve spring compressor to compress the valve springs. But you’ll have to remove the cam before that. You’ll basically have to take it down to a bare head to replace them. Should be able to keep the manifolds on, but you will have to remove the distributor. As far as details, I’ve got nothing. I just know enough to be dangerous.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

thanks a ton .I got it all tore down .waiting on parts from rock auto .couldnt find em anywhere else .be here the 24th hopefully .it seems easy enough I've done pretty much every thing from figuring out gear ratios in the rear differential so I could match a trans axle , to replaceing the wood druff key in a cracked harmonic balancer .I figure it was time take it further .isnt a better reason than necessity .hey I was ( if anybody is listening) wondering if a promotion would be up for consideration ? * You know like one above top notch .I mean I have bee. This cars primary care giver for quite a while .
Thank you.
*upon sucessful completion of coarse . :D
Also I had a bad exhaust manifold gasket due to the barely tight bolts that it was being held on to .
Last edited by gnarnold on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

leave the cam in,,unbolt the rocker arms and fish a piece of 1/4" in through the spark hole and turn the crank by hand till the piston comes up and hits the rope and it will hold the valve from falling down,,repeat in the next spark plug hole
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Post by jimcrazy »

pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gnarnold
Top Notch Member

Post by gnarnold »

since its gonna be two days (update 3-4 days ) before I get my valves I figure ill just clean everytbing up and assemble what I can with the seals and gaskets that came in the kit anybody know the tourqe specs on the cam shaft sprocket nut (update found out the torque . also found out it would have alot easier to take that nut off with the can shaft still mounted in the head )
Last edited by gnarnold on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

be sure you alter the head gasket and install the rebuilt head as I outline in my headgasket replacement thread over in the Repair Guides section.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)