What 14" rims fit tercels

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

Typrus wrote:And ours is hub/lugcentric... Meaning, that without the hub.... Bad things can happen.... So space it if you must.
ours are lug centric. hub centric wheels have non-tapered flat face lug nuts, like on a 1997+ F-350
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

Typrus wrote:And ours is hub/lugcentric... Meaning, that without the hub.... Bad things can happen.... So space it if you must.
ours are lug centric. hub centric wheels have non-tapered flat face lug nuts, like on a 1997+ F-350
Tercel 4WD "POWER WAGOON" with 4A-C
aka: "no powa steering tercel, oh oh oh!"
mods: ignition at 10 DBTDC and 90 octane gas.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

I got a set of Saturn rims with brand new Dunlop SP40 185/65-14 tires for $175. Just put them on. Bolt pattern matches, tapered seats but the hub is slightly larger, maybe 2mm. But rides smooth and the speedo/odo are only off by about 4%.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Hmm. Well our Passat was the same deal. Tight-fit hub AND tapered lugs. We had aftermarket rims put on. Konig 7-spokers, 15"x6.5". Nice rims. But, for some reason, it felt like it wasn't quite aligned after a while, it chewed up its tires. Otherwise smooth. Well, on our 2nd set of tires (only 12k int a set of Yoko YK520's) they were pretty well worn. One of the techs looked and said "Holy crap, there's no hub-ring!" Well, we got a free new set of YK520's and a massive apology. It now stays aligned and the tires are better now at 25k or so in than they were at 12k in, same primary driver with same driving habits.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Here it is with some cheap AutoZone hub caps.

Bad side

Good side
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Those look pretty good - I'll have to check out AZ.
Well, my Goldie has an identical twin in TN - she is from a Toyota dealer in Nashville - dunno which one.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Re: What 14" rims fit tercels

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

I don't mean to excavate dead threads, but is it true that our cars are lug-centric? So any rim with a 4x100 hole pattern will be good, regardless of hub size? The reason I ask is I might pick up a set of 14'' aluminum rims off of an old Passat, but it says they have a 57.1 hub, as opposed to the tercel's 54.1 hub.

I want to know if I need spacer rings or not, I don't want to break anything.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have been running alloy wheels intended for a Honda with a larger hub, not real issues for about ten years. I considered getting hub rings, but have not done it yet.

ONce I think I forgot to tighten the lugs after some maintenance, the next day that wheel was making noise so I checked it out. the lug nuts worked loose, one stud was broken off. I tightened the three, and replaced the broken one that evening. but I do not think this would have happened if the lug nuts were tight. even if the hub was the right size, loose lug nuts would do the same thing.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

One last thing, a bit off topic. The rims I'm looking at have 2 different tires on them, they are both 185/65/14. Would the possible thickness in tread be enough to do damage to the transmission? I know Canadian Tire won't install mismatched tires on 4wd/Awd cars to prevent damage and possible lawsuits, but does it make a difference?

This is what the rims look like, except much more beat up.
Unknown.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

yes it does, when in 4wd the drive train is locked out and different size tires will but stress on the drivetrain because each wheel will be turning slightly different speed. even if you have one low tire you can feel it bind, and it is almost impossible to get it out of 4wd because of the preload on the drivetrain.

all tires must be the same size, preferably the same brand (size vary slightly from one brand to another), and rotate them regularly so they wear evanly.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Petros wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:20 am yes it does, when in 4wd the drive train is locked out and different size tires will but stress on the drivetrain because each wheel will be turning slightly different speed. even if you have one low tire you can feel it bind, and it is almost impossible to get it out of 4wd because of the preload on the drivetrain.

all tires must be the same size, preferably the same brand (size vary slightly from one brand to another), and rotate them regularly so they wear evanly.
That would be why Jenny locks into 4wd and requires reverse with steering wheel turn to disengage it. Two nokians and two pirellis from the last owner.
seantp
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by seantp »

!