Lift, larger tires and fuel economy.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Fudd
My tercel:: 87 4wd wagon

Lift, larger tires and fuel economy.

Post by Fudd »

For those of you who have lifted your Tercel’s or switched to larger tires, how big of an impact did it have on your fuel economy? My experience with other vehicles is that lift almost always negatively effects gas mileage and that the same is usually true of larger tires, but not always, with cars occasionally benefiting from lower rpms.

The tires I’ve got have about 25% tread and are very weathered, so I’m going to need some new ones. For the time being, I’m planning on leaving it stock. I’ve got too much on my plate just fixing it right now to bother lifting it. I’m debating whether I should buy some cheap used tires on Craigslist to use for the next 6 months or so, or a set of new tires that I’ll have for the next 4 years.

If I can lift it and go to larger tires and still get fuel economy in the high 20’s, then I’ll opt for a cheap set of used tires and plan on lifting it later. If on the other hand, I’ll only be getting 20 mpg or so from a lifted Tercel, then I’ll keep it stock and get new tires.
Tercel__jon
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4wd Wagon

Re: Lift, larger tires and fuel economy.

Post by Tercel__jon »

I was getting 27mpg with 27" snow tires and the bartos lift.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

tire size does not usually affect fuel economy much. Tire design does, large open and aggressive tread (for mud and snow) will have a large effect on economy. so get tires that are rated for good fuel economy (low rolling resistance), they will also be more quiet at hwy speeds as well.

I have found cheaper tires not usually worth the money, they wear out faster so the per mile cost is actually higher. if you can not afford new tire now, getting used tires is a better way to go since safety is important. Craig's list and local wrecking yards are good source for used tires. be aware that is is best to not remount the used tires if you can (get wheels that fit your car with the tires). if you have to remount than try and get them installed so they roll in the same direction if you can, though that is not always possible if you are just getting tires.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
seantp
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by seantp »

I'm wondering about fuel economy myself. I have a one inch lift. Recently replaced the head gasket, plugs, wires and rotor, fuel and air filters. MPG is about 25... Only thing I can think of is somebody put one of those silly high flow glass pack mufflers on it and I have yet to replace it. Any ideas?
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Narrow tires are good for fuel economy, as is higher tire pressure. I have 175/70/14r hankook ipikes on currently.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I run my tires at about 36 psi, and set the spark timing at about 10 deg BTDC (vs. the factory 5 deg), both will help fuel economy.

max economy comes from driving in a higher gear with the throttle more open, so you are near lugging the engine. of course, slow accelerations, no accelerations going up hill, and carefully plan your driving so you can avoid using the brakes as much as possible.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)