Tercel vs Deer

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Eyeball
My tercel:: 86' Tercel Wagon Fwd only

Tercel vs Deer

Post by Eyeball »

Well I picked this little jewel up about 2 years ago from a older relaxed kinda guy, it was burning oil and he didn't want anything to do with it. He gave me a stack of papers I didn't think anything of and just left them in the glove box. Then last summer I was cleaning all the junk out and went through the papers, turned out he gave me the original purchase papers from the dealership and les schwabs from I think 87' hand written. Pretty cool history stuff really. Anyways tonight coming home from taking the dogs out me and my girlfriend hit a deer that came out of no where. It did some damage but we drove home. I haven't took the hood off the reveal all the damage yet, so far I see a bent core support, hood, wiper, lights, turn signal, and grill well and radiator. I'm sure there is a lot more. I'm way bummed, but it could have been way worse and we both realize that and are thankful we are both okay and the dogs are too!:) On a side note anyone know where to get core supports? Pictures will follow of it coming apart.
Eyeball

Re: Tercel vs Deer

Post by Eyeball »

For some reason it won't let me upload pictures from my phone??
seantp
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by seantp »

Download a picture resizer app. The images may be to high res.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

too bad about the deer, we had our share of deer damaged vehicles. all were fixable, but I wanted to charge the state. their deer are a hazard they allow to wander all over the highways at night without reflectors or head lamps.

look out for leaky radiator and bent water pump shaft, both will leak coolant. If you allow it to over heat because of an unseen coolant leak, you will also have to replace the head gasket as well.

likely you can bend the core support back unless badly crumpled, but it does not show much so it can be hammered back into shape. I have several extra hoods (several different colors too), be happy to sell you one if you are nearby. they are mostly good, but have the common "eyebrow" damage from the hood popping downward and than popping back up (every tercel I have ever seen has this kind of damage on the hood).

let me know if you want to pick up a hood from me. Not likely worth shipping since it would have to be crated and shipped as an oversized package.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Eyeball

Post by Eyeball »

Now we are cooking with charcoal! The photo resizer worked! I totally agree with you about deer having to wear reflectors, except this was during the early evening about 6ish so still light. That is why I am taking it a step further and purposing a deer ban on roadways! Anyways I am very much interested in a hood and other nicknaks you make have and are willing to part with, I am located about 30 mins west of Salem, OR. Hopefully close, I am at work now and hope to pull the hood when I get home or this Sunday (my weekend). I didn't hear any terrible noises like screeching or grinding so I don't think it pushed anything far back enough into the water pump. The head has been completely rebuilt when I got it so I will not be risking hurting it! My girlfriend woke up with a sore neck today I'm not sure if I'm sore from that or work, but oh well life continues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I am about an hour north of Seattle, so it is about 6-7 hour drive I would guess from Salem. I may even have a hood that color, will have to look. but you might be better off looking in the several Pick-n-pulls in your area or Portland, save you a long day of driving.

If that is a fwd, the grill is headlight trim and side markers are slightly different than the 4wd, but they are the same as on the hatch back sedans. though those headlight assemblies look like what was no the 4wd wagons.
Eyeball

Post by Eyeball »

This is a 4wd model, what got me into these is my old neighbor had a 2wd model she was going to scrap for like $75. I didn't know everything that was wrong except it didn't run, so $130 and a few dozen chicken eggs and the bug bit me. Replaced head gasket on that drove it for like a year then came across this. Anyways, I would be tempted if you have a hood and other parts I need ,to make a package deal of paying the shipping. If you are up for it that is. You guided me through my head gasket replacment btw. Also those are aftermarket headlights. which the driver side was already cracked. I did keep the original ones however my low beams were out and that's why I went with these h.i.ds (h4 bulbs)
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

5 hour drive from Salem to you Petros. I grew up there and still go and visit my parents from time to time. Not a bad drive. Welcome to the forum Eyeball!
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
Eyeball

Post by Eyeball »

helipilot77 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:52 pm 5 hour drive from Salem to you Petros. I grew up there and still go and visit my parents from time to time. Not a bad drive. Welcome to the forum Eyeball!
Thank you, I've been a drifter on here I stop by from time to time. Ugh I hate the long boring drives in traffic.
Eyeball

Post by Eyeball »

He does not approve of his transportation having other scent on it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eyeball

Post by Eyeball »

So a change of plans tonight Petros,, check it out. It was like it was ment to be. It's a 83' so a little different than mine and much much "rougher" but it's the same color and has parts I need! People's feel free to post on here!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

Great! looks liek what you need. what is wrong with it, where is it?

I was going to write that I will see what I have that I can spare. I do not mind shipping the smaller, easy to box stuff, but a hood will take a lot of work: must make a sturdy but light "crate". a light wood frame, with padding for the hood, and wrapped in corrugated cardboard so it looks like a big box (cheapest way to freight it).

but looks like you are set.
Eyeball

Post by Eyeball »

Petros wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:19 pm Great! looks liek what you need. what is wrong with it, where is it?

I was going to write that I will see what I have that I can spare. I do not mind shipping the smaller, easy to box stuff, but a hood will take a lot of work: must make a sturdy but light "crate". a light wood frame, with padding for the hood, and wrapped in corrugated cardboard so it looks like a big box (cheapest way to freight it).

but looks like you are set.
From what I was told it was over-heated and apparently was seized but broke loose and ran until a few months back. I was told the transmission shifted fine, which I consider a pretty big plus! But interior is pretty rough (I only need the driver side window regulator) luckily I don't need any of it. Location: my driveway, that's mine on the left. After working on it today I put the hood on top in case we get rain.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Eyeball- I feel your pain, man. Been there; done that. Had the EXACT same thing happen to my "good" Terc. about a year ago (would post a link to my thread but can't- too stupid.) Do a search on "infamy part 2" and it'll come up. My deer strike took out the left headlight, side marker, grille, core support, and A/C condenser/fan assembly. On re-assembly, I also found both hood hinges were bent (hood got shoved back into wiper cowl panel so I replaced that too.) Also the hood release cable was busted. Somehow, the radiator escaped damage. Hard to believe you found a same-color donor vehicle. What a stroke of good luck! I guess you know you're gonna have to pull all the bent stuff forward before the "new" stuff will fit. I removed the headlights, grille, radiator, and A/C condenser assembly, re-installed the bent core support, took some measurements off the "straight" car and jacked everything forward with a porta power. Think I might have pulled the battery and unbolted the fuse box to get clearance too. Only after everything was back where it belonged did I install the "new" core support.

As I wrote in my thread, you might want to contact your insurance co.- your loss might be covered. Mine was- I got $2300 and kept the car.

Good Luck- hope this helps! Rich.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Eyeball

Post by Eyeball »

rer233 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:47 am Eyeball- I feel your pain, man. Been there; done that. Had the EXACT same thing happen to my "good" Terc. about a year ago (would post a link to my thread but can't- too stupid.) Do a search on "infamy part 2" and it'll come up. My deer strike took out the left headlight, side marker, grille, core support, and A/C condenser/fan assembly. On re-assembly, I also found both hood hinges were bent (hood got shoved back into wiper cowl panel so I replaced that too.) Also the hood release cable was busted. Somehow, the radiator escaped damage. Hard to believe you found a same-color donor vehicle. What a stroke of good luck! I guess you know you're gonna have to pull all the bent stuff forward before the "new" stuff will fit. I removed the headlights, grille, radiator, and A/C condenser assembly, re-installed the bent core support, took some measurements off the "straight" car and jacked everything forward with a porta power. Think I might have pulled the battery and unbolted the fuse box to get clearance too. Only after everything was back where it belonged did I install the "new" core support.

As I wrote in my thread, you might want to contact your insurance co.- your loss might be covered. Mine was- I got $2300 and kept the car.

Good Luck- hope this helps! Rich.
Well it's been awhile since posting.. Yes that sounds like the exact same thing happen, I knew one hood hinge was bent replaced it put hood on found out the other needed replaced also. I looked your post up read it but I'm a picture guy and didn't see any which was a bummer! So after reading this and thinking about it (after I bought the other car) I could have probably took the middle part of the core support out bent the driver side back the shaped the middle piece back, but oh well I used what I bought. I wouldnt call it perfect by any means, radiator fell into place (after flushing it) I'm back to original headlights that need alignment. But now I have a shell, well most of a car for sale she is rough but has plenty of goodies on it, including transmission and transfer case if anyone is interested.