AM1 fusible link amp drain?

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: AM1 fusible link amp drain?

Post by Petros »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:54 pm Totally OT, but - - - sure glad Goldie has left me alone with these baffling probs!
To me, things electrical are demons sent by Zeus to baffle mere mortals.
or are you rather baffled by the source of electricity? that would be the goddess Electra.

She was the daughter of King Agamemnon and Queen Clytemnestra, and thus princess of Argos. We visited King Agamemnon's thrown room at Mycenae last summer. We also visited Argos, which was also the home of Achilles, dates from before the Bronze age.

Electra is considered the source of electricity because in ancient mythology it comes from a state or feeling of thrilling excitement.
"the atmosphere was charged with a dangerous sexual electricity"

I guess I can understand why someone like you would find that frightening. Of course that is frightening and baffling enough for most young men too! :o
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Scumbag
My tercel:: 1984 5 Door Hatch

Post by Scumbag »

Can someone tell me what that green connector is and maybe even where I can find one? Mine broke and its too short to solder. Also Mine looked exactly the same with the non standard yellow connector.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The green connector can be repaired. you can carefully pull out the metal connector (you need a thin tool to slide down the side of it to release a tang that is hold it in the plastic connector housing). once you get it out, you can affect a repair by either installing a new metal contact inside the connector housing, or splicing the old wire back into the existing connector. I have also just used the blade connectors directly when one side of it was damaged by too much heat (a small engine fire in fact). I have been meaning to splice in some original style barrel connectors, but I end up with other priorities and it has been that way for over ten years.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Scumbag
My tercel:: 1984 5 Door Hatch

Post by Scumbag »

Thanks for the quick response
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

spencercat wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:42 pm Figured out the drain issue, which was not related to a "key off" drain at all. Rather, the ignition key would not turn to "lock", so it was being removed when in the ACC position. This caused the drain that depleted the battery. Now that I have lubed the ignition switch, all is well (but I have to remember to press the lock button each time, as the key can be removed in any position).
Oh, totally normal! I think all my original key cylinders have worked that way. The biggest problem I've had with them is being very stiff in extreme low temps. They need help returning to run. The wife drove accross town in "crank" mode once and nuked the starter. Just another one of her thermal events that couldn't kill that 84..