2018 projects

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
AndyG
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 4wd Dlx. Stock

2018 projects

Post by AndyG »

:twisted: Went to the wrecking yard last weekend to look at a tercel wagon. I came too late. The thing was stripped clean! Oh well, it was a fwd/auto anyway. I did some looking around, and I found this spoiler off of a 85 Subaru Loyale. I’m tempted to put it on my wagon but the down side is that it’ll cover up the iconic “Toyota” vinyl on the back which I really like. I also ordered some 14” deep dish Bassett steel wheels that should arrive Friday. Very excited! I’m tired of these steel wheels I have on. Don’t like the design of them. Soon after that, I’ll order some 27x8.5 tires, and figger out the lift part. I will need some tips on the lifting part. Someone listed some moog springs (pathfinder/Cherokee) on here to use as a part of the lift. Not sure what to use as the shocks/struts. But from what I hear, a 3 inch lift is bad on the axles, correct? Someone who’s owned multiple t4wd in Oregon did a 3 inch lift without dropping the transmission, and claims he has no problems with the axles. I’m not sure if he’s a part of this group, but I’ve been following him on Instagram.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AndyG on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 2018 projects, found a spoiler

Post by Petros »

if you mount the spoiler a bit higher, rotated up over the top, you can than see about half of the toyota emblem.

nice wheels, the worst thing about the factory steel wheels is they are flexy flyers. I learned that by accident, I switch from the steel wheel after many years, to 14" alloy with lower profile tire. a lot more accurate and responsive steering, as I would expect. thought the low profile tire helped. but later I bought another project car that had steelies with bad tires, so I happen to have a set of 13" alloys with decent tries so I changed it. The handling improved almost the same amount, crisp responsive steering, just like the 14" wheels and low profile tires. I realized the difference was the steel vs. alloy wheel, not 13" vs. 14". that means those steel wheels flex a lot when you drive the car, not a good thought. but if it is enough to feel it, it means it is not insignificant. Now I do not trust steel wheels, at all, especially mass produced ones purchased on the basis of "minimum bid" for the production run.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Hoodwagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Post by Hoodwagon »

I like the spoiler! I am excited to see how you get it mounted!
1985 Toyota Tercel SR5
Pacific Northwest, USA
AndyG
Advanced Member

Post by AndyG »

Me too! I might mount it, possibly after I get the car painted.
AndyG
Advanced Member

Post by AndyG »

Very excited today! Got all 4 rims now, and two of the tires so far. Got one mounted by hand at home. Love the look of this setup.b
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

For lifting advice, refer to the sticky in the general section. It has a variety of options, and links to a couple of the threads.
AndyG
Advanced Member

Post by AndyG »

Test fitted the wheels. Looks so much better.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Beautiful!
AndyG
Advanced Member

Post by AndyG »

Thanks man! Can’t wait to get it all done!
AndyG
Advanced Member

Post by AndyG »

Getting my car all cleaned up for the old school reunion. Just ordered my parts for the Barto lift aswell, so excited! Then I just gotta order the other two tires, put it all together, do some trimming, and eventually a paint job. Doing fine detailing right now, tedious work. Currently touching up my 4wd emblem for the front, and repainting my valve cover. Thoroughly cleaning my engine bay, and interior. Then it’s time to clean the funk and rust off underneath and touch up some undercoating. I almost grabbed a set of coil springs at the junkyard off a ‘86 pathfinder two door, but wasn’t too sure if it’d really lift. It’s the same height as the Tercel’s rear springs but with a couple more coils, slightly thicker. But everyone says to go with the ‘90 4 door since they’re taller. I didn’t want to risk get old used ones. I figured I’d just order brand new ones recommended in the barto lift. Anyway, suspension should be here next weekend. I’ll do an update soon.
AndyG
Advanced Member

Post by AndyG »

White, first coat
AndyG
Advanced Member

Post by AndyG »

Lettering done
AndyG
Advanced Member

Post by AndyG »

Nice and clean look!
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

AndyG wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:04 pm Nice and clean look!
That white looks really nice! I might have to do that when I take Jenny's head apart
AndyG
Advanced Member

Post by AndyG »

Thanks! Yes, love the white I used.