1984 Euro Tercel 4WD Wagon

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: 1984 Euro Tercel 4WD Wagon

Post by Petros »

there is a fast idle adjustment next to the regular idle adjustment, but on the throttle shaft assembly (you have to rotate the throttle about 70 degree angle to get a flat screw diver on it.) It is a smallish screw next to to the throttle bell crank (the thing the throttle cable attaches to), on the throttle shaft assembly.

It only engages when the choke is closed, and than as it warms, and the choke opens, than a push rod allows the throttle plate (and idle speed) to be controlled by the main idle speed stop screw.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
FRQ

Post by FRQ »

I had a good hour to tinker today, so I didn't follow the entire FSM diagnosis procedure, but upon removal of the aircleaner, I immediately noticed the dryrot in the vacuum hoses. Replaced all of them with new silicone ones. Preliminary result: fast idle function is restored and holding idle at a steady rpm, but on two seperate starts at two different rpm points (1200rpm/1600rpm), at least things are moving in the right direction. :)

Will check the screw Petros suggested if I can't get it to settle down at a fixed point.

Also noticed the AAP diaphragm is shot, which should account for some of the soot in the carb, probably running a bit rich. Next step is properly checking choke engagement. Takes a while to let the engine cool so I can be certain to test from an ideal baseline, will be doing that over the course of the next couple of days when starting from cold.

I have to say, the US FSM had me scratching my head for a bit with all the crazy emissions systems, turns out the EU carb is much simpler. Took some pics to document vacuum hose routing:

Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

a vacuum leak will make it act this way. check all the hoses, and all gaskets in the carb and manifold that can result in a vac leak. check any vac operated devices for leaks as well, like the vacuum advance on the distributor.

simple vac leak procedure, spray propane or some flammable liquid in a mist around the manifold, vac lines, etc. while it is idling. If the idle goes up when you move to one place, you may have a vac leak there.
FRQ

Post by FRQ »

I think it's pretty much dialed in now. At about 35 degrees F, it needs 2 throttle presses to engage choke and a tiny amount of throttle while cranking and it'll fire right up with a non-fluctuating 1200rpm high idle.

Once you know how, it's easy. Ideally I'd like to get it dialed in to the point where it doesn't need those few mm of throttle engagement though. The "problem" being that if you give it a bit too much throttle, this will immediately disengage the high idle, which isn't ideal when I want to let someone else drive the car.

Any ideas where I can finetune to get rid of this symptom? I did notice a little bit of slack in the throttle cable, would it be OK to tighten it to where it barely engages the throttle plate (we're talking literally a few mm here)?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

adjust the slack out of the throttle cable is a good idea, just verify that the throttle returns all the way to the stop when it is warmed up (off the fast idle). More than a few forum members put a little too much tension in the cable and could not find out why it would not idle down after warm up.

Actually your cold start process sound about normal, they have always been a bit "baulky" on cold starts in freezing weather, even when new. after warm up it should act normal, no special process to start it. It comes from it having a carburator, which no one has seen on cars produced in the last 28-30 years. We are spoiled with the modern fuel injected motors that adjusts mixture automatically.
FRQ

Post by FRQ »

Got a rust free rear hatch, nasty little dent on the bottom edge though, will need some work before paint. I was also looking for 2 sets of 14" wheels, one for AT tires and one for summer tires.

Managed to find a set of rare Speedlines for the VW Golf II Country 4x4 for the AT tires, nice classic rally look. Summer tires will be mounted on a set of MR2 3 spokes.

Does anyone know if a member here has recreated the "TOYOTA" decal for the rear hatch? If not, I guess I'll dust off my copy of Adobe Illustrator.
Last edited by FRQ on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Does anyone know if a member here has recreated the "TOYOTA" decal for the rear hatch? If not, I guess I'll dust off my copy of Adobe Illustrator..

I'm not sure if anyone has, all there is is a picture refrenced.for the exact measurements. If you do decide to work your magic, let me know. I've been looking for one forever.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

on 'brands of the world" website there are a few Toyota Logos that you could take to a decal cutter and get sized coloured and cut. If you have any problems I can try and do it for you sometime. just a bit busy right now. You should be able to dig up the dimensions here somewhere
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Before painting the hatch, be sure to drill a bunch of holes in its bottom for drainage for the inevitable water which will enter.
See my post on the topic here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6917&hilit=hatch
Also spray that area inside the hatch with rust remover/reformer as a precaution.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
FRQ

Post by FRQ »

I'll probably do it myself in Illustrator and have some made up. The used font seems to be a bit wider than the "standard" Toyota all caps font. I will trace along the original, scan to 1:1 scale and probably stretching a vectorized Toyota logo from Brands of the world to similar dimensions will be straightforward.

Does anyone know if the OEM decals were always silver with black outline? I know for a fact mine has been replaced once and it is white with black outline. My car's hatch is dark brown metallic though, perhaps dark colors got a white decal?

Before paint I will be waxoiling all cavities on the car with Dinitrol Penetrant 1000, including the new hatch.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

Here is that picture I mentioned.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
FRQ

Post by FRQ »

Didn't get around to tracing the decal yet. Sanded down and painted the set of MR2 wheels I bought. They came out nice:

Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hi FRQ. I'm not sure if I mentioned - we had a very active french (Marsaille based) group on here a few years ago so you might find some of their information useful. They probably off roaded the Tercel more than anyone and would possibly help you with parts. BTW the wheels look great!

http://www.team-go-on.com/t246-toyota-tercel-tercel-4wd
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
FRQ

Post by FRQ »

@Mattel: I checked out that link but there doesn't seem to be much activity there these days.

Currently I'm looking for the part number of the rubber mounts between the airbox and valve cover, I can't seem to find it in the EPC. Mine are dry and falling apart. Any ideas?

The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

I cut and slit a small, short piece of rubber hose, wrapped it around the steel spacer and called it good. Seems to be holding up ok.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited