Variable Speed Intermittent Wiper Control

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD

Variable Speed Intermittent Wiper Control

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

Found this guide when I was looking at repair guides for my Miata and made me think about the possibility of doing something like to our wagons... Anyway, here's the link....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... yN_-OxWcRI

Anyone familiar enough with the windshield wiper circuit in our cars to point me in the right direction of attempting something like this? If not I'll rip everything apart and start testing things myself here soon. I like this option better than finding right combo switch from a 4runner and making it work. I think there a good possibilities for this working!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Variable Speed Intermittent Wiper Control

Post by ARCHINSTL »

HA - I apologize for being OT, but since I am an unapologetic OF ...
I also belong to the Miata Club and, while never owning a Miata, have stolen a number of infos for us - like the idea for our Tool Talk Forum!
My B.S. (Beautiful Sister) who ruined the loaner of my '83 T4WD back in '85, has a lowlowlow mileage Gen II NB (at least, she has an MT, although I cringe when riding with her ...).

I must confess that my '86 Goldie did not have the intermittent wiper feature from OE, so received that with a transfusion of the whole cluster from another member.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

A lot of work considering the 4 Runner is a bolt in except for a little tweeking of the plastic coloum surround.
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

@archinstl- Yeah I own a 94 na miata and a 97 Miata that I'm turning into a Miata kart 😎😎

@oldfaithful- I don't think it'll be that much work, especially when the old 4runners rarely pop up at my local yards... Plus I'm not too keen on tweaking and cutting my steering column surround honestly, the interior of my car is pretty mint... I guess it's time to rip my wiper switch apart this weekend haha!
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

Hey if it works, go for it. Variety is the spice of life, it’s like anything in life, ya don’t know until you try it. In this neck of the woods there are still quite a few old 4 Runners around. Good luck.
Folian
My tercel:: -87 swe t4wd

Post by Folian »

I researched my options last summer and ended up going with the tried and true .99 relay mod.
In short it’s a relay design that’s most famously used in vw’s from the late 90’s but was used in a ton of different makes and models.

Google for 99 relay wiper mod and you will get a ton of sites describing how it works.

I’ll eventually get around to create a build thread for my tercel. And i will outline what needs to be done to include this relay :)
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

4wdEconoBox wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:12 pm Found this guide when I was looking at repair guides for my Miata and made me think about the possibility of doing something like to our wagons... Anyway, here's the link....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... yN_-OxWcRI

Anyone familiar enough with the windshield wiper circuit in our cars to point me in the right direction of attempting something like this? If not I'll rip everything apart and start testing things myself here soon. I like this option better than finding right combo switch from a 4runner and making it work. I think there a good possibilities for this working!

The JDM models have the Variable Intermittent Wipers. You don't need to source from other cars unless you are looking for one for the rear wiper.
K-Business
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I have a full set-up for sale that I pulled out of a 87’ automatic Tercel. The car had cruise control on the steering stock switch and I also have the unerhood servo and cables for that as well as the controllers for the cruise control and the intermittent wipers. Here is the listing with photos.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13144
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
4wdEconoBox
Top Notch Member

Post by 4wdEconoBox »

I thought the professor was getting all of that stuff? If I got it do you think the cruise control could be adapted to work with a mt? I have the a/c bracket I think...
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

I thought he was going to pick it up also, but I haven’t heard from him a couple weeks. I think it could be retrofit if you could find a controller for it out of a MT vehicle like maybe a Camry or space van of the same generation. On the other hand if you fool the computer into feeding it a neutral lock-out signal from the clutch you might be able to use the controller I have. I would prefer to trade parts anyways.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
seantp
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by seantp »

I had the same question about the cruise on a stick shift. Or would I be better off with this: http://www.rostra.com/universal-afterma ... rostra.php ?
seantp
Advanced Member

Post by seantp »

There's an 87 manual at a nearby auto salvage that had cruise but the engine had been pulled. At least I got the dash switch.
helipilot77
Top Notch Member

Post by helipilot77 »

Yeah I’ve read that cruise was available on a manual. I’ve just never seen one.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
seantp
Advanced Member

Post by seantp »

I've seen an 87 manual with cruise!