The Last Boat I'll Ever Buy...

Post here about...well...anything!
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd

The Last Boat I'll Ever Buy...

Post by emmahumpfritter »

...or can afford to be certain.

2007 Hewescraft Welded Aluminum 220 ET Pacific Cruiser. Slipping her up in the Apostle islands this summer. My goal is the drop the level of Lake Superior via Salmon extraction. :)

Anyone willing to meet me at the marina is welcome to join.
260K with no end in sight....
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: The Last Boat I'll Ever Buy...

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Beautiful, even to this devout landlubber!
Pardon my ignorance, but are those diagonal tubes sticking out of the roof for holding fishing poles or - ?
I take it this is pretty much a dedicated fishing boat, as compared to a pleasure craft, huh?
It looks pretty purposeful. What is its weight, length, and beam?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Holy tugboat!

It would take a lot of fish removal to make up for that boats displacement. haha. I believe that the coast gaurd still considers that a "small craft"

I'll definitely have to make the trip at least once this summer. Last time I was on Superior was with my jon boat in 31.1 degree water. Scary!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

nice! bring it to shawnigan and you will certainly raise the shoreline a foot or two.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

those are not fishing pole mounts, but launch tubes for the chaff rounds to throw off the Coast guards radar when they make their contraband runs of La Blatt Blue and Kokanee from north of the boarder.

Good boat to do it in, good visibility to watch out for the coasties and fast. Lots of cargo space below the floor boards as well.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
GLet71
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 6-spd SR5 4wd Wagon

Post by GLet71 »

Time to upgrade the brakes on your Terc~
Currently:
Majorette France Tercel 4WD - Fini
Formerly:
'87 6spd SR5 4WD modified Wagon (Ron, the post-apocalyptic summer ride)
'87 6spd dlx 4wd Wagon (Pinkman Got Nuthin', aka Pinky)
'87 Auto dlx 4WD Wagon (Otto, temporary parts car)
'88 6spd SR5 4WD Wagon (Perry, the parts car)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

This is yours, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npiIC1ma7eU
I turned green sitting at my monitor...
Tom M.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Cayuse
My tercel:: 1986 SR5

Post by Cayuse »

Beautiful boats. Driven by their factory many times on the way to Canada. Surprising that such nice boats can come from a town where there isn't immediate access to large bodies of water.
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member

ARCHINSTL wrote:Beautiful, even to this devout landlubber!
Pardon my ignorance, but are those diagonal tubes sticking out of the roof for holding fishing poles or - ?
I take it this is pretty much a dedicated fishing boat, as compared to a pleasure craft, huh?
It looks pretty purposeful. What is its weight, length, and beam?
Tom M.
Tom, I'm thinking it feels 70% fishing, 30% "pleasure" or camping. It has a fairly good sized cuddy for sleeping. There's a sink and cook/heat stove inside. I'm building a dinette on the port side (replacing the bench and storage. That should kick it up to 40% pleasure :)

The beam is the legal max for highway transport without a permit (8 feet I believe) weight is 3800 pounds (boat only) the motor is another 400'ish. I had to move from a tacoma to a tundra for towing. Length is 22 feet plus 2 feet of extended transom. The tubes on the roof are for pole storage.

One thing I didn't think about until AFTER buying it is the cabin size and wind. docking is yet to be my mastery, and the wind always seems to be blowing you away from the dock (or into other boats) needless to say I have to practice before docking around other boats. The fact that it's thick welded aluminum means it would probably inflict expensive damage on other (usually fiberglass) boats it came in contact with. :( Surprisingly though: insurance is super low, $220 bucks a year for 500K liability. I'm not interested in testing the policy.

The best part is they're more/less unsinkable. Somewhere out on the net is footage of a 24 foot Hewes Alaskan floating at water level, holding up twin outboards. The hulls have flotation inside. This comforts me some hauling a 3 year old and his friends around on the big lake.

You might enjoy youtubing fishing near "stannard rock lighthouse" 40 miles out in the middle of lake superior. Monsters to be caught out there.

BDN
emmahumpfritter
Top Notch Member

Petros wrote:those are not fishing pole mounts, but launch tubes for the chaff rounds to throw off the Coast guards radar when they make their contraband runs of La Blatt Blue and Kokanee from north of the boarder.

Good boat to do it in, good visibility to watch out for the coasties and fast. Lots of cargo space below the floor boards as well.
La Batts?!! Ugh! As much as I love Canada, can't say I've found their beers any better than crappy mass produced domestics. I'm game for blasting across the English channel with a hull full of Newcastle though :)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I was intrigued, even as someone who is apprehensive (aka scared) of water and went to Hewescraft's site. Very interesting. A friend who has a 28' cruiser and an OMG ski boat was impressed by your choice.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain