It's my birthday!!!

Post here about...well...anything!
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

It's my birthday!!!

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

I actually celebrated yesterday in the really nice weather with 9 holes of golf. Was planning on trying to break loose the nuts on the engine bracket. I doused them with penitrating oil after fighting with them for awhile. If the oil doesn't work I do have the propane torch to heat them up now. Enjoying a 3rd cup of coffee while thinking about laying under the car in the wet and cold on my BD.....it might not happen today. :-)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: It's my birthday!!!

Post by dlb »

happy bday, bbm!!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! ! !
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Post by Neu »

Happy Birthday!

I would never do car work on my birthday, haha.
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

Thanks guys. I did actually get one nut loose of the 4 today. I don't think they have been touched in 26 years. It took a torch and all the strength I have with a cheater to break the first one loose. The second one wouldn't budge so I sprayed more penetrating oil on it and since it was starting to rain I called it a day. I am determined to get this done though.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Happy Birthday to you too! I hate when I have trouble loosening nuts or bolts, it can be a very frustrating experience. It's one of the many vexing things when dealing with car repair.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

happy birthday!
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Happy birthday to you.

Try and get the penetrating oil inside the frame to lube the other end of the bolt. If these get rusted real good you can break loose the nut welded on to the inside of the frame, making getting that cross member of a major operation, since the bolt and nut will just spin without loosening up. lots of penetrating oil and an impact wrench would be better than just brute force on the bolts.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Bluebelles Mom
Top Notch Member

Post by Bluebelles Mom »

Petros wrote:Happy birthday to you.

Try and get the penetrating oil inside the frame to lube the other end of the bolt. If these get rusted real good you can break loose the nut welded on to the inside of the frame, making getting that cross member of a major operation, since the bolt and nut will just spin without loosening up. lots of penetrating oil and an impact wrench would be better than just brute force on the bolts.
:-) Now he tells me. I might have broken the one bolt loose, I got the nut about half way off and then thought the bolt was turning too. I will check this out when it stops raining. With more penetrating oil I think I can still get the nut off. Tightening it back up might be interesting when the time comes.