Gloves

Post here about...well...anything!
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

Oh I bought a pair of those Wells Lamont insulated mechanic's gloves! I have been using the normal mechanic's gloves for a few years, they are great, other companies make them too, they wash up pretty well in the laundry too
so then I heard somebody on here say they had insulated ones now, I finally found them at the store here called "Fleet Farm" I think it is only a Minnesota Iowa Wisconsin Dakota thing...anyway they are just like the "normal" gloves, with the synthetic suede fingers and stuff, but they ahve some 70-gram (i think, or 50) thinsulate in there, so they are slightly puffier, making them SLIGHTLY less useful for when you need to grab screws and stuff...but for general wrenching and stuff they are the shizzle! and they are pretty warm! it was high of -2F today so my hands still got quite painful after I was using them for maybe ten minutes, but at least you can do fairly well with them! they were $15.

I have seen the uninsulated kind at just about every store where handymen shop, such as Menards HomeDepot and stuff, and even Sears, Napa had em once too....if you are going to buy some, my advice is to stay away from the Sears ones and Napa etc, cuz they have a huge logo on them, mine say "CRAFTSMAN" (they were on clearance) but the big square craftsman logo is like, sewn on or something, and it catches on stuff.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Catches on stuff, reduces flexibility, etc... lol....
My shoes I wear every day have something like 490 grams of thinsulate.. Whatever it is its not much considering 12.5 mens size. Its still does very well. Breathable, don't get too warm, but maintain warmth in the cold. That 5 degree day when I changed my front struts and it took me 3 hours, my toes never even got numb. My hand on the other hand............. I was using those yellow workers glove that are.. What? 100% cotton? They are not very expensive, but do the job. I had to pull out the propane heater to keep from frostbite problems. I could go in to describe my wool-down-Thinsulate jacket and its uberness, but....
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Do you happen to remember what sizes were available? I was only able to find large at Walmart, I'd really like extra large if they even make them. They seem smaller than the non-insulated gloves.
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Where I went, they seemed to be mostly sold out...they had empty racks for other sizes but only had medium left. Usually I take a large, but I was pretty happy with the medium...for me, I find that if they "fit", then the fingertips are too long, just slightly, but enough to make it a PITA for what these gloves were meant for...same with when I would have to get welding gloves at work in the past, luckily they were leather and they tended to stretch out permanently

So walmart has these gloves too huh? you know, for some reason I dind't even think to look there.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I need some gloves for winter motorcycle riding... Just got back from an 11 mile ride in the lovely 15 degrees. My fingertips hurt. There were bright red lol... I had layered my summer riding leather gloves with my ski gloves then my wood loading gloves but even those thick things didn't help much. Guess I need thick leather or something. Not much gets thru that.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

I'm not into motorcycles and I know nothing about it, but I saw an ad a few years back for BMW bikes in the winter, and they had heated gloves and vests that plugged into the electrical system of the bike? you need that! toasty!

I used to ride my bike (pedal) through the snow and ice, nothing finer that going out after a fresh snow before anyone has walked on it, and riding around...totally silent! tis awesome....I used snowboarding gloves for that...they were actually mittens made of some plasticky stuff that the wind didn't get through, then the inside was all super thick insulation surrounding each finger, they were nice....but cruising at highway speed would be a bit different
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I do a lot of bicycling as well, and most bike stores sell gloves and clothing made with various types of WindStopper fabric. I don't know exactly what it is made of, but it generally does a great job of keeping the wind out. I have a couple of jackets that allow me to ride reasonably comfortable in sub-freezing weather, and they are really light weight and comfortable. However, you still need insulation of some kind in weather like you're talking about , Typ. 15 degrees outside and on a motorcycle ??? That would freeze ALL of my appendages !! I did a 4hour bicycle ride a couple of years ago on an afternoon when the high temp was only 28, I was like a popsicle when I got back in the house. I'm sure you guys have tried those little hand warmers...some kind of iron compound activated by contact with oxygen. They work ok inside your gloves or shoes for a while.
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Yeah, certain things go numb and non-functional after a while :o :blink:
Leather does a great job blocking wind, big problem is it also locks in sweat and moisture which both gets really uncomfortable and actually can freeze. I need some sort of Gore-Tex leather.. or something..
Your head stays pretty warm (if you aren't a total idiot who values the wind in his figgin hair more than his own brains staying within his head!!!!!!!!) and if you have good shoes, your feet stay okay, but everything else suffers. Wind gets in thru my old AMF-Harley leather jacket's (yeah, that is old.. 70-something) zipper and the incomplete seal between my inadequate gloves and the sleeve, my pants are not leather and as such breath too much causing total waist-down numbification, and my neck dies. I aspire to get a better suit at some point, but again.. No money.