Northern Lights

Post here about...well...anything!
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

Post by Adelard of Bath »

This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen...this professional photographer from Iceland made these and the colours are spectacular! I put them all into a folder and have a random background thing select from them! (and others)

<a href='http://www.iww.is/art/shs/pages/thumbs.html' target='_blank'>http://www.iww.is/art/shs/pages/thumbs.html</a>
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

VERY COOL!! Thanks for sharing. ;)
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
MootsMan
Top Notch Member

Post by MootsMan »

I have lived here in middle TN all my life and got to see the Aurora once, back about 20yrs ago. It showed red and orange here, and looked like the sky was literally blazing with fire. If I hadn't known what it was, I'd have thought the world was coming to an end !! I think there was another display here a couple of years ago, but I missed that one.
1984 Tercel 4wd Dlx. - 192K miles.
1985 Tercel 4wd SR5 - 185K miles (not running)
1986 Tercel 4wd Dlx - 210K miles (dd)

Only 3 to go for the whole set ! lol
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

We had one a few months ago, I was on a road trip and I was driving through the Wisconsin Dells area on i-94 and I saw them up there....and then later, and then later...so I finally got out cuz I was like "what IS THAT"
but they weren't moving! they were green...i finally decided they were clouds lit by the moon...i get home and the radio the next day is like "did you see the northern lights last night?" and I was like DAMMMITT
cuz I always wanted to see them, and finally I did but I dismissed them as clouds?
But I can't figure out why they weren't moving. That is why I found those pictures of the ones in iceland...man iceland is cool, i'm gonna hafta move there

Oh and I signed up for the "space weather" email from nasa so now I get these reports on solar activity blah blah blah so if something comes up, I will know!
Adelard of Bath
Top Notch Member

uh oh!

AURORA ALERT: Two coronal mass ejections (movies: #1, #2) are heading toward Earth and they could spark strong auroras when they arrive on January 16th and 17th. These clouds were blasted into space by M8- and X2-class explosions above giant sunspot 720 on Jan. 15th.

from spaceweather.com
also of interest is the story that the europeans have landed an explorer on Titan, one of the moons of Saturn, and they have pictures!