Camry All-Trac & AE82 Corolla AWD conversion

Post here about...well...anything!
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I was wondering how good the Camry All-Trac is as they also have a sedan/wagon version just like the Corolla All-Trac, not too many people mention it. I was also wondering if you could do custom fabrication to an AE82 Corolla and put the AE95 transmission and rear axle. I know it's probably not worth it, but if people have put 3S-GTEs in them...
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

You can do pretty much anything you want to any car with enough time and cash. You just have to decide...is it really worth it? Why would you want to spend thousands and many hours of labour to make an ugly car 4wd and fast when you could spend much less and no time and get a nice OEM reliable sports car with 4wd and turbo? (like a Celica Alltrac). To some people its worth doing all the work to have something different, or make a sleeper etc. However there are many easier sleeper possibilites... Dumping a 3SGTE into a Camry Alltrac would be pretty cool, but personally, nothing excites me about an AE82 corolla. But to each his own I guess. I know a guy who put a 20V 4age into his AE82. It's quite the sleeper.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Making the ae82 a 4 wheel drive would be alot of work. They are however a nice car to put the 20 valve or the 4A-GZE into.
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

My question is about the AE82. Is it possible to convert to 4wd? What other drivetrain would fit in the transverse configuration?
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

tercel4wdrules wrote: My question is about the AE82. Is it possible to convert to 4wd? What other drivetrain would fit in the transverse configuration?
Vehicles (like the AE82) that are normally fwd are VERY difficult to conver to 4wd. Why? Because there is nowhere for the transmission, rear drive shaft and rear axle housing/differential to go. The rear suspension points usually also don't match whatever rear suspension you will need to swap in to make rwd work. A fwd basically has everything under the hood (engine/transmission/driveshafts). So, if you are interested in making one of these cars 4wd, you will need to make a custom tunnel for the transmission and driveshaft, as well as a tunnel for the rear axle components, and then weld suspension points for the rear axle components. During all this work, you cannot sacrifice the strength of the original body of the car. This is especially tough on unibody cars like most Toyotas. The only people that actually do this sort of work are major tuners and race shops. This is only done for custom vehicles such as road and rally race cars.

There are quite a few people out there who have swapped the fwd components from an AE92/AE101/AE111 to give the the AE82 upgraded power. Generally these people import an entire front cut of the donor car, and swap EVERYTHING into the AE82 (including engine, transmission, driveshafts, front suspension, rotors, calipers, etc. This is far more possible than a 4wd conversion. The best thing to do to research this is visit Toyota sports car sites like Club4ag, Toymods, Toyota Nation, etc.

I hope that helps a little better. I didn't mean to poop on your idea in the above posts. There is always a time to learn.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Forgot to mention, I actually have a video of a Camry 4wd with a over boosted 3SGTE in it. It looks/sounds pretty darn fast. :)
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I would like to see that! Don't worry, I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for the info. Now what's the difference between a 3S-FE and 3S-GE? I will devote my time, money, and effort towards improving the Tercel 4WD, there are no doubts. It was just a little idea I put in my head. Who knows, I might attempt it one day, pain in the arse probably. I will have to get married to woman who likes Tercels that's for sure, otherwise no more projects. :(
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

tercel4wdrules wrote: I would like to see that! Don't worry, I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for the info. Now what's the difference between a 3S-FE and 3S-GE? I will devote my time, money, and effort towards improving the Tercel 4WD, there are no doubts. It was just a little idea I put in my head. Who knows, I might attempt it one day, pain in the arse probably. I will have to get married to woman who likes Tercels that's for sure, otherwise no more projects. :(
Good question about the difference between a 3SFE and a 3SGE!

The 3S for each engine refers to the engine family. There are a couple members of the S engine family, the 3S engines and the 5S engine. It's just like the A engines (like in our tercels) there are 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 7A variations, but for the most part, they all bolt in the same and the heads all match up. They are all in the same family. So basically, the first part of the engine designation refers to the family and variant of the engine.

The second part of the Toyota engine designation (which you asked about) will tell you the same thing for all Toyota engines. The E stands for electronic fuel injection on all engines. The F means the head is a DOHC head designed for low rpm power (low mid torque). The v angle between the intake and exhaust valves is low (ie. it is a more narrow head with the cams closer together). This head design flows best at low rpms (highest intake air velocity), and thus gives best power at low rpms. The G means the head is a DOHC head designed for high rpm power (mid high torque). The v angle between the intake and exhaust valves is higher (the head is wider with the cams further apart). This head design flows best at high rpms, and thus gives best power at higher rpms.

The F heads are used on engines in vehicles that require a basic engine design that is suited to the average driver. The G heads are used on engines used in sporty cars or full on sports cars, and are suited to people who like revving their engine higher for power.

The second part of the Toyota engine codes can also have: Z = supercharged, T = turbocharged. Things like U, L refer to which way the engine is mounted etc, C refers California emissions control for carbed engines, etc.

If you do a search on google, you will find someone who has written a more detailed explanation of how the engine codes work.

Yeah, women can put a real damper on car projects, thats for sure. :(
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE