London Fog...

Post here about...well...anything!
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Hey Baldy,welcome to the site. :) I also ejoy scuba diving and underwater exploration. :unsure: So how is the diving over jolly~old~England way? Im guessing its a bit nippy with alot of interesting geografy and sealife.Im in San Diego so the temps are good for wet-suits(I use a 5-mil S-Tec Scubapro)but unless you go too specific areas(wrecks~semi reef)it gets alittle boring ;) ,so I end~up doing more night diving or waiting for my next trip to Costa Rica. :) .I have a friend(magazine writer) from Wales who dove the Red Sea last year...said it was pretty amazing,and he saw a bunch of(Israelie?)tanks on the floor.Ready for battle,like some long~forgotten Goasts-of-War.If you have any interesting dives(something with Gold~coins perchance :D ?)feel~free to post them in this off-topic area. B) Cheers, Alan
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
Baldy

Post by Baldy »

Hi Alan, it's certainly cold at this time of year (about 5 degrees) so me and Trish are diving in dry suits :( at the moment and are jealous of you in your 5mm wetsuit all year round! Still we are out every weekend having fun. Sadly there are no gold coins to be had (yet) but we keep looking! :D I'd love to dive in the Red Sea but it would take a lottery win to fund the trip :angry: Here is a photo of me (in the summer) waiting for her (AGAIN!) If you have any tales about your exploits please feel free to share :) Paul. <a href='http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/PSMSC/Paul.bmp' target='_blank'>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/ ... aul.bmp</a>
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

5-degrees...burrrrr!! Ive seen the wrecks that I wanted too and have been Lobster diveing for the last three years(I was certified :blink: three years ago),so Ill probably join a group from UCSD that has the "Keys" to the La Jolla Reserve next summer.They have a couple boats so I could get some regular dives in...mabey check some of the islands out.My dive partner(who was a fanatic and loved to hunt)moved to Arizona and Ive been real lazy about finding another one.I am fixing-up my Tercel for Baja so the Sea of Cortez should be in my near future. B) I learned to "freedive" when I was in Kauai and the main reason I got certified was so I could carry "extra air" for spearfishing(4-sec's of air at 35' didnt cut~it!). :( Their not too big on blue water freediving here but the world competition is sometimes held in La Paz...so I'll probably check-it-out. :)
Baldy

Post by Baldy »

Hi Alan,
Certified eh? :unsure: Maybe we'll meet on the same ward then? LOL :D
I was in diving in Plymouth (SW of England) about four years ago and there was a "freediving" competition there. The water isn't clear enough to do that in the channel so I was interested how it could be done? It was not what I expected at all :o
There were lots of people lay face down holding onto the side of a pool being timed breath hold "diving."
The judges tap on the competitiors hand periodically (and watch for finger movement) to make sure all is well. If you pass out and drown you lose!!! :(
I think I'll stick to my aqualung thanks! :D
Are you going to enter the competition or to spectate?
Paul :)
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

"Freediving" means diving without air~breathing gear,and theres a few aspects of the "sport".Your refering to breath~holding competition.They also have depth~breath world comp. when a rope is used.France has been a leeding competitor in that event.Im talking about open(blue)water freediving-spearfish comp.,see <a href='http://freedive.net/ibsrc' target='_blank'>http://freedive.net/ibsrc</a> :) I dont have enuff experiance in this event...but it wouldnt take much more so who~knows? :D There was a Greek diver a couple years ago who shot a sword(sail?)fish and gave it a head~injury.It tried several times to "skewer" him...but the injury messed~up its depth-perception so the diver was able to "dodge" it for 40 minutes,untill the boat could get him another speargun- :o -could you imagine that! :)
Baldy

Post by Baldy »

I have seen freediving (on TV) where the competitors hurtle to the depths on a rope attached to a large weight.
(Still, I know some guys who would attach the rope to you first! :( )
I tried it (snorkel only) in our local diving quarry (with Trish following as cover) and got to 15 metres and back to the surface, it's horrible! :o
The pressure build up in such a short time is terrific, such a relief to see the surface approaching :)
Re: the swordfish, mmm :P Greek kebab sounds tasty! :D (only joking)