How old is everyone on this site?

Post here about...well...anything!
shaner

Post by shaner »

21. i thought i would die much younger. but now i feel as if im going to live a long happy productive life.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

wow...10-40k....that's an awfully big window. 10k is less than $7/hr and 40k is almost $20/hr. MA minimum wage is 6.75/hr. That is 270 per week, with 52 weeks in a year. Thats 14K per year. Mc Donalds usually pays a half-a-gnats-ass above minimum wage. Lets say 7.00. Thats 280 per week, and 14.5K per year. Figure 1/3 for taxes etc, that's 10-12k per year without any more than a high school dee-ploma. If you're paying for an education that is promising to get you a job making that little money, you should get your money back and go to a different school....

With certifications in the auto mechanics industry, a decent mechanic should be able to make 12-15 per hr MINIMUM (based on where you live, of course.) Typical rates for a mechanic here in OR are $60 to $80 per hour.

Screw Snap-On. Way too much money for a tool that isn't much better than craftsman. Buy craftsman when they go on sale (Like GTS said) or buy husky (Home Depot) or Kobalt (Lowes.) Or do what I do. Buy the cheapest stuff possible (like Pittsburgh brand,) and then when you break something, you know you need a stronger tool and replace it with a Snap-On or craftsman or husky. Harbor Freight is awesome!!! I have never ever broken a wrench or ratchet without the help of a breaker bar (aka big-ass pipe.) If you do actually become a real mechanic, definitely DO NOT skimp on important items like measurement equip. Buy a high quality torque wrench, calipers, mircometers, DMM's etc.

And for goodness sakes, leave those dogs alone!
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

What dogs and what about Ingersoll-Rand or SK tools, etc?
K-Business
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

There are those who think that when God said "Let there be light", I was the one that threw the switch. Actually my driver training car was a brand new 64 Chevelle. My first car was a 55 Bel Air. The most interesting car I've ever had was a 60 Borgward.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

keith wrote:The most interesting car I've ever had was a 60 Borgward.
Hmmm - someone else who predates the Interstates?
Interesting note on the Borgward. A family friend had one and it was pretty well-made, as I recall. However, its death-knell was the lack of distribution, as it came at a time when everybody in Europe sent stuff over here, and the market for furrin' cars became overcrowded. Its strong engine, however, was semi-popular in single-seat racing here for a couple of years, although I do not recall why. Borgward Isabellas pop up on eBay periodically; one of my favorite searches - dunno why, though.
The Carl Borgward Company did produce another quite interesting and well-made sister (schwester?) to the Borgward - the Goliath. It was a flat-four front driver, and was water-cooled, as I recall. Kinda like the Jowett of the UK - although vastly better-made, though.
I think the Company also did the small car called the Lloyd.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Yeah, mine was an Isabella, 4 on the tree, carburator stuck right in the middle of the valve cover. Strong engine? I was regularly beaten by little old ladies in their slant sixes, well it did a little better when I put some gas in it, but it was the first car I ever had that went over 200k miles (230k when I got rid of it). Paid $50 for it with 225k on it, gave it its first oil change in over 100k according to the previous owner, the only thing left of the oil filter was the two end caps and the spring (canister oil filter). Had it for 6 months and gave it away. It has been the lowest cost per mile of any car I've ever had.
Rasmus
Top Notch Member

Post by Rasmus »

Physically: 24

- R
I love my tercel :)
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

i'm 22, one year younger than my precious tercel.
ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

23. Two years older than my particular vehicle.
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

I'm 22, just a few months older than my tercel. ;)
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

haha i'm 19 going on 20 in november. Not too bad for the person who came up with this website eh? :P
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

icE wrote:haha i'm 19 going on 20 in november. Not too bad for the person who came up with this website eh? :P
Not too bad at all!! Don't know what we'd do without you icE.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

(blink... blink....)
2 years older eh icE? To the month even...
18's getting awefully close.....
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

icE wrote:haha i'm 19 going on 20 in november. Not too bad for the person who came up with this website eh? :P
No - certainly not!
And Thanks!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
kingtercel

Post by kingtercel »

im a month older than my July 87 DLX - give her some AVgas every birthday; she loves it

3 cheers for iCe !!
87 DLX silver blue - Electric ignition, King Springs, Black interior
66 VW Split Bus - 3 type 1 motors and all partsx2