I have found an al25

Post here about...well...anything!
86creamdream4x4
My tercel:: Ex 86 tercel 4x4 automatic

I have found an al25

Post by 86creamdream4x4 »

This morning I have brokered a deal to purchase
A 1985 Al 25 SR5 hatchback she's not the four-wheel drive one I wanted but this person is willing to work with me from what I can see it looks pretty damn clean to if anybody has a tan decklid please inform me I do require one thank you
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: I have found an al25

Post by dlb »

Congrats on your find, post some pics of it.

The cargo covers are different between the 4wd and FWD wagons, FYI. I made one from a FWD work in a 4wd but I had to modify it. Not sure if it would work the other way around though, I think I had to trim the FWD cover to fit so if you used one from a 4x4 it would be short and not reach the top of the rear seats. I think, not positive as it was quite a while ago I did this.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

David- Don't think Toyota ever made a FWD SR5 wagon- OP said he had a hatchback (two-door, I assume.) I kinda doubt the cargo covers from the wagons (either FWD or 4WD) would fit without modification. You are correct however, the FWD cover is longer (back seat is moved forward about an inch or so from the 4WD.) I've done it too.
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I do not think there was ever an SR 5 trim in North America that was not 4wd. There were both FWD and 4wd Wagons in DLX, and FWD hatch back in DLX, but all SR5 versions were 4wd. curious to see pictures. might have been an imported model.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

You're right, I didn't catch the FWD/sr5 detail, Rich. Thanks.

Peter, I've seen a couple sr5 hatchbacks. Not many, for sure, but they must have been available in Canada at least. There was one for sale not far from me 4 or 5 years ago that stands out in particular.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

dlb wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:32 am Peter, I've seen a couple sr5 hatchbacks. Not many, for sure, but they must have been available in Canada at least. There was one for sale not far from me 4 or 5 years ago that stands out in particular.
they may indeed exist, I just have never seen one. I have seen the first generation Tercel in an SR5 trim. kind of cool, it uses the same seats with the panic handles on the sides as our 4wd SR5 wagons, and the full instrument cluster with the tach. Also very rare, I have only seen them twice, once was in the wrecking yard. the other oddly enough, is the store manager at the local Autozone.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Petros wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:47 pmthey may indeed exist, I just have never seen one. I have seen the first generation Tercel in an SR5 trim. kind of cool, it uses the same seats with the panic handles on the sides as our 4wd SR5 wagons, and the full instrument cluster with the tach. Also very rare, I have only seen them twice, once was in the wrecking yard. the other oddly enough, is the store manager at the local Autozone.
Yeah, I've seen a few sr5 1st gens up here too. Not lately though, as time goes on they are becoming more and more rare. I love em, I've always thought the 1st gen hatchbacks were pretty cool looking and would look great with a window louvre on the back, like some of the firebirds used to have.

irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Petros wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:50 pm I do not think there was ever an SR 5 trim in North America that was not 4wd. There were both FWD and 4wd Wagons in DLX, and FWD hatch back in DLX, but all SR5 versions were 4wd. curious to see pictures. might have been an imported model.
They definitely exist, they were in the brochure. Just much rare, because by the time you hit the price point of a SR5 hatchback you were at the price point of a DLX Wagon.

I almost bought an SR5 4 door hatchback, it was an 85 or so, but it ended up being too far away!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k