anyone here watch The Irishman?

Post here about...well...anything!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

anyone here watch The Irishman?

Post by dlb »

I've been slowly working my way through The Irishman on Netflix. It's 3.5 hrs so it's a long haul, but man, the classic cars in it are unreal. There are no Tercels of course but it's still a pretty amazing collection of pristine classics. It's before my time so I don't know the makes or model names of any of them but I'm sure some of you on here will recognize a few of them. I wonder who was tasked with the job of finding all those cars and getting them transported to the sets for filming, and I wonder how specific the parameters were -- I wonder if it was like, "it needs to be a beige AMC blah blah blah and it simply must have the matching carpeted dash cover." So curious.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: anyone here watch The Irishman?

Post by Mattel »

Bryan Thompson on this site has had one of his Camrys used as a back up on 'Stranger things and he's on the other side of the country to the filming I think. There are some great articles on picking the Tercel 4wd for Breaking Bad. A lot of consideration for the character.

https://www.motor1.com/news/71312/the-c ... ound-them/

Jesse Pinkman - 1982 Toyota Tercel 4WD Wagon
As I recall, our instructions were to find something that would reflect a 'blend in' [and] 'totally under the radar' kind of vehicle," says Dennis. "Vince...also [wanted] to make a statement about Jessie in his selection of this vehicle, but it was perfect for his character. "Aaron was great with anything we gave him to drive and he could drive anything. I am so extremely thankful when I have an actor that can drive a stick shift. It's almost a lost art."'
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

is that the old movie with John Wane? there was a movie of that name, where an Irish American goes looking for his family home town. the locals do not take well to him, see him as an American "outsider".

I find it interesting when they make period movies, they have to gather up classic cars from collectors and musiums. often they are all polished shinny new, in the movie. not very realistic, more like a mix of dirty cars and some clean ones. not sure the wore would appreciate the movie house dirtying up their cars for filming. seems using something like talcom powder or corn starch to make them look dusty should not harm a thing.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

No, The Irishman is from 2019. It's by Martin Scorcese, basically a mob film, set in the 60s and 70s mostly. I finished it last night. I liked it. It was a really slow burn, very tense.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey David,

Having enjoyed the Godfather trilogy in my younger days, I did watch "The Irishman". A fair attempt at another good gangster movie with the old crew, a little long and slow moving. I struggle with these movies some, as they naturally have you rooting for the perceived "good" guy (in this case DeNiro), when he's a murderer and thief as well.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Yes, but the cars!...
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I agree David, I sold my 52’ Chevrolet Styleline (4-door) when we moved to town. We had to cut trees down that had grown through the bumper to save it. A fellow came out of Pennsylvania I believe to pick her up. Even as a more door, I loved the lines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
john
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 85 toy tercel 2wd wagon (formerly a 4wd automatic)

Post by john »

We watch a lot of old movies and tv shows at our house. I've always enjoyed episodes of "Emergency" etc., and seeing what cars are on the streets. Usually lots of VW's and old American cars. We also watch lots of BBC, especially the detective shows. I really enjoy seeing old Triumphs, I had a Spitfire as a young man and 5 years ago scored another. Will have to watch the Irishman. JohnImage
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.