2020 tercel successor not available in the states.

Post here about...well...anything!
SynthDesign
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: The General, 85 SR5 w/ Sunroof,Olive Drab paint, Black Interior, custom steel bumpers, Barto BC lift, 1.67L BUILT 3AC w/ Weber Carb. 346,000 miles and counting since restoration

2020 tercel successor not available in the states.

Post by SynthDesign »

We'll just put this here.
I'll admit, I'm smitten.
The more I read about the new GR Yaris, I want it more.
All wheel drive, 6speed manual, 3cyc turbo 1.6L...
From the Aussies
https://youtu.be/I31ox7PewL4

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/20/toy ... rally-car/

To bad we wont see it stateside.
Vintage and Classic Toyota; Have you loved your Toyota today?
2016 Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab LB TRD OffRoad
2005 Toyota Sienna, work van
85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd (The General)
85 Toyota Tercel GTS 4wd (4AGE Swap)
85 Toyota MR2 (Blu)
83 Mazda RX-7 Mariah Widebody
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Re: 2020 tercel successor not available in the states.

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Absolute dream car right there. When I've made my millions off of [data expunged] I"ll make sure to import one into Canada.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

250 hp Yaris in AWD? video says it has aluminum body panels and LSD!

Europe and japan get all of the cool stuff. thanks to our illustrious government looking out for our best interests.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Petros wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:44 pm 250 hp Yaris in AWD? video says it has aluminum body panels and LSD!

Europe and japan get all of the cool stuff. thanks to our illustrious government looking out for our best interests.
It probably has more to do with American's penchant for trucks, crossovers and SUVs than our government regulating this car out of the country. If they don't think it will sell well in the U.S., why spend the MILLIONS of dollars to homologate it for the States?
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

The Professor wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:05 am
Petros wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:44 pm 250 hp Yaris in AWD? video says it has aluminum body panels and LSD!

It probably has more to do with American's penchant for trucks, crossovers and SUVs than our government regulating this car out of the country. If they don't think it will sell well in the U.S., why spend the MILLIONS of dollars to homologate it for the States?
I hope the 4wd system at least makes its way over the pond. I would be quite content with a regular Yaris with that system in it. It would be THE modern tercel.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

The Yaris, as well as the honda fit, are available in AWD in Japan and Europe, likely elsewhere. There is no reason they could not be sold here, they meet other countries safety and emissions standards, they could be sold here too.

No Professor, it has to do with the way the EPA mandates "fleet" requirements. if they introduce these AWD models, it lowers their average fleet economy, meaning they would have to cut out their larger (more profitable and more popular) models. they would not do that for a nitch market on an entry level model.

It is complete crap, as if denying the US market of lighter, safer, and economical AWD models would harm overall fuel economy. Typical government lobbying by US manufactures so they can sell their crap with less competition. We can not buy what we want, but what the lobbyists determine what we will get, to their employers' advantage. The purpose of government, and all modern law making, is to guarantee the monopoly of the largest entrenched multinational corporations who pay the highest for favorable laws. The tax payers are essentially a commodity to be auctioned off to the lobbyists by our congress. It is a corrupt racket, I want out.

May be I will import one of those AWD models for parts, and "rebuild" a USDM similar model using the AWD parts. but I have to wait until they are old enough and beat up enough so I can afford it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

Petros wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:41 pm...if they introduce these AWD models, it lowers their average fleet economy, meaning they would have to cut out their larger (more profitable and more popular) models. they would not do that for a nitch market on an entry level model...
Exactly, because Americans buy mostly vehicles that are large and inefficient. We buy so many of those that it doesn't make financial sense to build small, efficient cars except for CAFE regulations. That's why we're also seeing 1) a growth in overall vehicle footprint (larger vehicles are allowed to be less efficient) and 2) the proliferation of larger hybrid and EVs. Because America demands those types of vehicles, not a new Tercel.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

Definitely not a lack of options or "denying" the market. A good example is Mazda, right now the CX5 is a huge sales success, while the new 3 is an abject failure. Both can be optioned with AWD, but 55% of Mazda's total sales is the much bigger CX5. The fleet requirements should drive toward smaller, more efficient cars, but the take rate is so low that they fail on the sales floor.