Familiar with a 22r?

Post here about...well...anything!
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Familiar with a 22r?

Post by BaileySims »

I'm sure there's a few of you who know your way around a 22r. I just wanted to ask here in hopes of someone who might know a thing or two because I don't want to sign up for another forum.

This timing cover has a gap between the head and itself.
It lines up perfectly with the bottom of the block.

Question is, did I get a shitty part, or are there differences in sizes of 22r heads?

I pulled off an aisin timing cover and put on this shitty enginetec one. I just don't want to spend 110 on the aisin and have it not fit like this one too. Any help is greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Familiar with a 22r?

Post by Petros »

I had a old toyota truck with a 20R engine, similar to the 22R. I rebuilt it and am somewhat familar with it, but there is no way that part should fit that way, there is no easy way it could be sealed from leaking oil everywhere in the timing chain compartment.

it is possible you got the front cover for a 20R rather than a 22R. There might be some way to make a metal shim from a peice of aluminum plate. lots of work, but should work with enough sealant. It might be possible some parts geek listed the front cover/oil pump as interchangable between the two engines. I had that with a 3a oil pump, vs. from another A series engine. the oil pump bolted up, but was not compatible with the 3a plastic front cover.

what happened to your old one? Have you compared the two parts side by side? what is the difference in overall height?

the differnace is not in the head, but in the overall short block height. that cover you installed is for an engine block with slightly less stroke length (lower block deck height), which makes me think it is for the 20R. check the stroke length of the 20r vs. the 22r to confirm. I thought the difference in the two engines was the bore dia, but perhaps the stroke is affected too.

if you find some way to shim that gap closed so you can use it anyway, I would very carefully make sure everything else lines up properly, particularly the oil passages.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

The old timing cover had a crack that was poorly sealed with some type of hardening putty. It was leaking from that covered crack, and the only through bolt on the timing cover had the threads stripped out and was pouring oil out of there too. Drove it around for a few months and the leaks just got worse so I decided to try and fix everything all at once.

The gentleman i bought the truck from claimed his brother had rebuilt it. Very doubtful now that i have it all apart.

The aisin one i just pulled off measured 11.5 inches where the enginetec measures 11.25 inches. Short by a quarter inch.

I have got ol' reliable back on the road again so the truck can sit for awhile until i find the correct part, until Friday at the latest anyway. I wouldn't trust myself with making a shim because of my severe lack of patience. I just want to put this thing back together the right way, with all the bolts so i can hopefully stop all of the leaking.

after doing some mild research, it appears that pre 85 22r's have a taller deck and post 85's are shorter. seeing how the truck is an 87, this isn't even the original engine. Damn it. Thanks Peter!
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
keith
Highest Ranking Member

Post by keith »

Is that head on backwards?