1997 4runner

Post here about...well...anything!
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 1997 4runner

Post by irowiki »

Well, between winter and corona, it took a while to get back up there and finish it up. It's actually a 1997!

Putting drum brakes back together from scratch is fun when all you have is a reference picture from a repair manual that covers 5 different car models so half the pieces in the picture aren't actually used in your model.

But we got it done, with new bearings and seals all around. Took her out for a test drive, and started misfiring, on #2. Pulled that plug boot and the connector stayed on the plug! Easy diagnostic, easy fix, new plugs and wires all around, runs much better now.

Super LOUD, got under her to do a leak test and noticed there was no muffler, just a straight pipe. Getting a new one installed today.

Of course the AC worked before it sat for a year. Getting that checked too. (UPDATE: They said they found no leaks and it just needed a charge)

Going to get a "new" hatch too, nothing works in the current one.

Seems to be kinda dead in the powerband between 2-3k RPM. Need to look into that.

Ran a little hot, 190-195 on the highway, up to 211 going up steep hills, going to see if I can clean the radiator out.

There's a squeaking coming from the back under acceleration, after reading around seems the U-Joint may need replacing.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 1997 4runner

Post by NWMO »

Hey Paul,

Good to hear from you and good to hear you are making progress on the 4Runner!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain