Crazy 22re bucking

Post here about...well...anything!
stefando
My tercel:: The Caribou: 1983 SR5

Crazy 22re bucking

Post by stefando »

Our truck is a 1987 xtracab pickup (yota) 4x4 with the 22re. It's a great rig and has been well maintained for many, many years by a friend. For a while now it's had this problem where when I'm accelerating in any gear things are smooth and fine but when I let off the gas, instead of transferring to smooth engine brake, it reacts like someone is slamming on the brakes, bucking like crazy! There was play in the dear diff so I got a rebuilt one and put it in with new rear bearings (didn't fix it). Then I found a crack in the throttle body, replaced it and the intake hose, checked the mas air vane with multimeter, new throttle position sensor, replaced intake air control valve (still bucks) Good wires, distributor, cap... took it to a local respected 4x4 guy and he gave up looking for it and apologized that he couldn't help- encouraged me to keep at it because it was a great rig..

Thoughts: Fuel system, injectors, transmission? (shifts great- 5 spd)
What do you think?
1983 SR5 Brown
Salmon River California
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Crazy 22re bucking

Post by Petros »

check spark timing, and operation of both mechanical and vacuum advance. sounds like timing could be too far advanced. also, check that fuel air mixture is not too rich when off the throttle. the EFI should take care of this but something might be causing a rich mixture when it should be lean. clean idle air control valve, throttle body, etc. verify all vac lines are routed properly and not leaking.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Crazy 22re bucking

Post by teranfirbt »

Check adjustment of the TPS: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml
The most critical part is that the bottom 2 pins have continuity when the throttle is closed and then opens as soon as the throttle is cracked open.
The EFI system will cut fuel when the IDL pin is grounded (throttle closed) and RPM is greater than around 2000. If the TPS isn't adjusted correctly, it could be injecting fuel when the throttle is closed, causing your weird bucking.