I Smell Burning: Short circuit overnight

Post here about...well...anything!
tallsailor
My tercel:: '83 4x4 w/blue plaid

I Smell Burning: Short circuit overnight

Post by tallsailor »

Help me troubleshoot a short circuit in my Previa van, please!

Came in to drive van in the morning: garage smells terrible. Drive van, van smells like burning plastic. Initially wrote it off as leaky oil burning (I haven't gotten around to fixing my valve cover gasket). Get into van after letting it sit with windows open, still smells. Notice my clock and radio no longer work. Electrical short! Clock fuse is blown. Radio fuse is not blown.

My question: What circuits are likely to be "always on" in a '95 Previa?

-radio
-clock
-power door locks
-??

I disconnected the battery and I'm hoping that if I pull all the possible fuses I can avert further damage. In the morning I will check for all the fuses which have power while the ignition is off. Don't have much time to troubleshoot or repair, though. I'm 6 hrs away from home right now and need to get back from holiday travel by school on Monday!

Thanks!
'83 Tercel 4x4 blue plaid interior
'95 Previa SC AWD rally machine dadvan
Sadly deceased: '95 Tacoma 2.7l 4x4
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Re: I Smell Burning: Short circuit overnight

Post by Jarf »

TS - you might have better luck over at Toyotavantech.com
Theres even a Previa specific section, good group over there, almost as good as here :)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

power locks? what sort of wizzardry is that?

although to note is that the Australian SR5 wagons do have a remote control lever for unlocking the rear door down near the petrol flap lever infront of the passenger seat.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

Hopefully you got sorted out but in case you didn't, there is supposed to be a fusible link box on the positive post of the battery, they are known for causing grief similar to what you stated. Not enough to take the top off and look, many have had fried innards and only visible from the underside.
tallsailor
My tercel:: '83 4x4 w/blue plaid

Post by tallsailor »

I think the auxiliary rear heater blower motor supply burned, but I haven't been able to tear apart the dash and A pillar to confirm. I pulled fuses until the awful smell went away and managed to drive home. I'll try toyotavantech.com; I've lurked there, don't know why I didn't just make an account.
'83 Tercel 4x4 blue plaid interior
'95 Previa SC AWD rally machine dadvan
Sadly deceased: '95 Tacoma 2.7l 4x4
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

in most cars the headlights will come on with the ignition off, so the headlight system is always energized. Most of the newer cars have an auto off feature on the headlights, too many people forget to turn the headlights off and allow the battery to run down.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)