Is this a good buy or a farewell?

Post here about...well...anything!
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Is this a good buy or a farewell?

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/nel ... nFlag=true

The guy wants too much for the state that it is in, but are how are these trucks, namely with the Diesel engine? I have zero experience with Nissans.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Is this a good buy or a farewell?

Post by Petros »

I do not know anything about the Nissan Diesel engines, but I used to own a 1986 Nissan Pathfinder, that uses the same chassis as this "hardbody" pick up. I drove it for 375,000 miles with almost NO maintenance. besides filter, oil and spark plugs, brake pads, the only thing it ever needed was an ignition coil, and one wheel bearing. it drove that far on the original factory clutch, suspension and transmission and drive train (never touched anything in the suspension or drive train, never needed a thing). it was not just low maintenance, it was almost NO maintenance. it also drove and handled well for a truck chassis, felt like a sports car compared to a Forerunner.

Odd the seller is trying to sell this basic 2wd truck without even cleaning it out. It would only take about 20 min to just pull out the trash before he takes the picture, another 10 min to vacuum it out with a shop vac.

I could not tell you the value, I could not tell what it needs based on the add, does it need work? it appears it has not been driven for a long time, might need heavy maintenance or repairs. I do know that anything with a deisel engine will sell for a lot more too, not sure of the advantage, fuel now cost more than gasoline. with these older diesels you are also stuck putting in injector lubricant into every tank of fuel because the new "cleaner" fuels will damage the older style mechanical injectors.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Petros wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:41 pm Odd the seller is trying to sell this basic 2wd truck without even cleaning it out. It would only take about 20 min to just pull out the trash before he takes the picture, another 10 min to vacuum it out with a shop vac.
That's why I said "in the state that it's in," the thing looks absolutely disease ridden. I have no clue how some people have such little pride when they go to sell something. When I try to sell something, I make damn sure it looks better than it ever did when I owned it.

On a side note, when I looked into the specs on the sd25 engine in it, it said that is has gear-driven timing. Like a Cummins. Which is pretty neat-o in my opinion.
BlackStraw

Post by BlackStraw »

I used to own a 1982 Datsun/Nissan pickup with a SD22 in it - those engines are rock solid, all cast iron, push rod, gear-timed, mechanical fuel pump. Was not pretty trying to start it when the morning temperatures were much below freezing, but once it was warm it ran beautifully.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Well, I emailed the guy. it has quite a few issues, and I tallied it up in my mind as being "not worth it." Needs a new power steering pump, 2 batteries, and a starter solenoid. All that comes to around $600 (rock auto prices)