Help with Weber ?

Post here about...well...anything!
mr_braaaap
My tercel:: 1985 bone stock

Help with Weber ?

Post by mr_braaaap »

i Purchased a Webber 32/36 dgev from a Jeep .kit 552 . What I wanted to know is what else I’m I missing to make this work . I live in Florida we don’t have to pass inspection I’m not worried about anything with emissions.
I know I need the adapter plate . What else do I need
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mr_braaaap

Re: Help with Weber ?

Post by mr_braaaap »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

it is not difficult to make your own adapter, if you ever work with metal before. Or even alter the intake manifold to not need the adapter (that means you would have to replace the intake manifold if you ever go back to the factory carb). Might be able to use the standard filter without the adapter.

You have to alter the throttle linkage as well to make it work properly.

I suggest ordering the jets described in the weber thread, you likely have jets that are too large for the 3a engine. you might consider ordering a selection of jets (I do not think the cost very much), and than once you get it running, you an experiment with different air and fuel jets, monitoring fuel consumption and perhaps optimize it for max power or economy by changing out the jets after several tanks of gas for each jet configuration you try out. the weber is easy to change jets, they are all under the cover on top of the carb body.

It is a simple carb and fairly easy to get to work well, it is still popular as an aftermarket replacement carb, check for forums and tuning guides on the internet.

Good luck
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
mr_braaaap

Post by mr_braaaap »

Thanks for all the info. Great knowledge in this page .
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I forgot to mention (maybe I did in the above links?), that MO eliminated emissions from its inspections for pre-1996 vehicles (like your state?), so the ONLY thing remaining is the cat converter, and that is simply because it was needed to fill in the "gap" when I installed the Bosal complete mani-back exhaust system in 2012. All else has been removed, including the charcoal canister and air induction system (it leads from the cat to the front around the engine).
I plugged the EGR port on the manifold with a simple aluminum plate - not the elaborate plate installed by splatterdog.
I plugged the hole in the exhaust manifold (for the deleted EGR source pipe) with a 20x1.5mm bolt and washers (the former is sometimes a trans plug).

My results with the Weber over 10 years have been slightly lower MPG, more power (actually, more like perceived power ... :wink: ), no probs in cold weather/altitude, and no %$@#!* from the aging emission systems.
Another bigga plus is having a lot more room to work on the engine!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

minor point: it is unlawful to "tamper" with or disable any federally mandated or required emissions systems. However, this is left to the states to enforce, and most of the states exempt anything older than 25 years old from emissions testing or inspections.

So the bottom line is, there is no practical way to enforce the federal law since the feds do not inspect or police emissions systems.

I assume the reason to exempt older cars is that there are not many of them, and it is difficult to purchase replacement components for cars that old since manufacturers are not required to offer replacement parts for older vehicles. So I assume it is okay to drive these older cars in most states, perhaps it is a concession to lower income families who typically buy and drive older cars. One exemption, In California there is no such exemption so if you can not buy a working EGR valve or factory catalytic converter (for example), you either have to crush the car, or sell it out of state. for all the other states, I assume it is okay to remove these components since they are exmept.

yet the federal law still stands, with no means of enforcement. When my catalytic converter fell apart I had a muffler shop install a straight pipe, but I am not sure of the status of my car. You can not buy factory cat converters for a 35 year old Toyota.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
mr_braaaap

Post by mr_braaaap »

Florida is a little wild state lol