Thinkin of fishin

Post here about...well...anything!
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Thinkin of fishin

Post by splatterdog »

When I'm stuck at work, this gives me hope! 90% of my fishing has been on the ice the last few years. Got about 12 days on the ice so far this winter. Can't think of anything better to do when the Superbowl shows up next month. Hopefully the Vikes are in it, so the lake will be mostly mine. The -20's and 7 inch ice over the hot spot kept it super quiet for me over Xmas break. Good thing it's less than a 10 minute snowmobile ride to the spot! -20's at camp again this weekend and a playoff game Sunday should work in my favor again even though the hot spot is now driveable. T4 has been liking it's new block heater..

http://mnlakecams.com/
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Thinkin of fishin

Post by splatterdog »

If the wind doesn't break it up I'm going to try Superior for the first time tomorrow!

Here's some more lake cams, all on the big one. Drop down boxes above the video feed have multiple camera choices. All the action is at Two Harbors right now.http://www.duluthharborcam.com/p/two-ha ... t.html?m=1
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

sounds like you been having some cold weather according to the news. They reported on the news a collage student (I think) in Wisconsin was found in the morning between the dorms frozen. I do not know why he would be out wandering around on campus in that weather, drunk perhaps, a dare? Seems foolish, but I feel very sorry for the family. what a shame.

How thick does the ice have to be before it is safe to drive on? The only frozen lakes I have seen were up in our mountains, and they were very thick ice, sometimes even frozen solid. but those mountain lakes are not very large.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

For a limited time only, a T4 on the two harbors boat launch cam.
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

Splat - I am so jealous, I haven't made it out yet this year and its been a banner year.
Cold and tons of ice.

Petros - general rule of thumb (min's) is 4in for walking, 5in for sled/atv and 8in for small cars/trucks
And if you're going with minimum numbers, you'll want to spud your way out.
It is not a pleasant time of the year to go swimming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Post by Jarf »

Sorry, I have no idea why there is 4x the same pic and I cant seem to edit it. (xtra pics deleted by admin)
Was an awesome day in history though, so maybe thats why
:)

How was Superior?