New van has a bit of Tercel in it

Post here about...well...anything!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

New van has a bit of Tercel in it

Post by Mattel »

I just bought bought a VW T3 because the tercel was too damn reliable but also they are going up in price and allow me to sleep at the beach and get the first waves. I’m keeping the corolla all trac though. I couldn’t help but add a little bit of tercel to the vw dash. Fits in pretty well I reckon! And will confuse the Syncro trainspotters at the vw club!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: New van has a bit of Tercel in it

Post by splatterdog »

Very brave! A VW and entering the waters surrounding your country. That interior makes a T4 look well appointed. A quick read says they weren't produced for very long. I don't think I've ever seen one. Switchable 2/4wd or awd? How does it compare with T4's reliability, parts availability, ease of repair, and of course finding one in the first place? I know engines come out quick on most of rear engine VW's. I'm guessing those vans mostly only have interior space over all other aspects of a T4?

Fits good and hopefully infects the rest of the vehicle with Toyota reliability!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: New van has a bit of Tercel in it

Post by Mattel »

Thanks Splatterdog! About to do a 1,600km round trip in the T3 - am packing tools and spare belts and fluids.

The Corolla has cost me roughly $1,200 in non consumables since I bought it. The T3 has needed a new driveshaft in the last week so is upto $700 in the six weeks of ownership!. But I now have club registration plates which mean I can drive it for 90 days a year for only $150.00 and cheap registration. I could actually get the Corolla on the club plates as well but (rather than the $900 annual registtration) but need a roadworthy certificate and would probably need a new windscreen.

The T3 has excellent space and can sleep four at a pinch. mine is a 2wd but still has pretty good traction. There is a huge community worldwide with these vans and they are a bit of a cult item so everything is available at a price. I paid a lot for mine as it is a factory campervan with 50l water, poptop roof, stove and fridge and had a recon engine 20,000 miles ago. They are easy to repair and Subaru engines (including wrx) just need an adaptor plate to fit in.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms